IGNORED

Distributer Shaft Play

Zpeed

hey guys

I'm wondering how much play in the shaft of the distributer is normal, i've got the 280zx dizzy, and just wondering as its in the car now, and its got quite a bit of movement when i take the cap off, and move it around with my hand

what sort of problems would this make? and also should i fix it

Is it rotational play? Or is it movable side-to-side without rotating it? Rotational play can seem like quite alot without efficting its opperation. side to side slop is a bad thing - it would be very difficult to set the gap if there is more than about .005"

of side to side movement.

- Jeff

its rotational play

and Zedrally give me both opinion's, as i don't know which is the whicher..

I just have some hisitation when driving, and i feel its electrical, and trying to work out if its in the distributer where its coming from..

I would think you're worried about the dizzy play.

That would come from worn bearings.

Advice I have is that the bearings are NLA. This happened to me and I had to replace with another dizzy. I think it came off a ZX and has created a few problems of it's own.

I have recently acquired a "proper " dizzy and will replace it in due course.

In answer to your question, there shouldn't be any play, if there is then the timing will be out [or rather the gap].

If you have a wobble in the dizzy then you will need to replace it with another.

Hope this helps.

If it's rotational play, you could also have problems with the drive gear. Best advice I can give is to pull the distributor and see if the drive gear has any play. If not, it's all in the distributor. If it does have play in it, you will need to correct that as soon as possible as the oil pump also runs off the same drive. That could be a major problem.:ermm:

There is plenty of Oil pressure

There is basically no move in the shaft inside the engine, just on the distributer...

i tried using a timing gun to check if i could see the timing, i couldn't even get any marks to show on the timing plate, that shows the degrees, i think the dizzy is one major source of my problem

does anyone have any recomendations of what to do,

get a reco one, or reco this one, or buy a new one etc...

i might call waz at Zworx tommorrow, and get him to give me one to test to see if thats the problem... and i just changed the ball bearing part inside the dizzy also... dang... i'll keep it as a spare

Originally posted by Zpeed

I'm getting hold of a points distributer, does anyone know how to change back from the 280zx dizzy to a original points dizzy

Are you getting a single point or dual point distributor?

I have a dual point distributor for you if you need it.

- Jeff

I'm running now, everything that was original on the 76, but just with the 280zx dizzy, and the 280zx coil...

and not dual points, single points, mine a manual, thought the dual point distributers are for auto's... thats what i think it said in my haynes manual