IGNORED

Persistant water pump leak

Dave WM

after replacing the TC cover for the failed TC guide, I put in a new water pump and gasket. I noticed some antifreeze leaking off the bottom of the timing chain cover, a very little but still bothers me. I used the paper gasket (black) that came with the WP and a little bit of gasket stickum just  to hold it in place. Bolts torqued to spec. I put in some uv dye and could see the leak seemed to be coming off the bottom of the pump right at the gasket. Know I know leaks can be sneaky so I wiped clean did again and was pretty sure it was just a poor seal.

Next up remove the pump clean all remains (pretty easy since no sealant had been used). try again this time with a felpro (blue) and spray on gasket sealant. spray both sides of gasket, spray TC cover and pump let them all setup for a couple of min, all went well, applied some more gasket sealant to the long bolt threads, torqued to spec (5/10 ftlbs small/large). Refill and before I even got it started I could see water seeping past the bottom 12mm long bolt. ARGH!! pulled it out, cleaned the threads, got some of the anerobic gasket maker (like super thick locktight), installed tried again, same result, this time I have pipe sealer (thick white paste) on the threads and in desperation a little around the top of the bolt. letting is set for HOURS this time, and will try again. If still a problem I am going to go back to the orig pump (it was not leaking and really not a problem but for its a few years old), and try again. This time I will use the Permatex 2 very thin applied to both side of the gasket, being extra careful around that bolt. I had NO issues on the spare engine and I don't think I used any sealant at all.... maybe there is the problem? it was felpro. I could not find specific direction on if it should be sealed or not. I know paper gaskets are supposed to swell, maybe that's the problem.

Edited by Dave WM

some autozone brand, it has the cast impeller.

I filled it up and burped it, got up to operating temp, so far no leaks. which is way better than the 1s time. Only diff is I used the thead sealer (thick white stuff) on the problem bolt.

I have the old pump cleaned up (same thing autozone cast impeller) the mating surface. Thinking about ordering a OE Nissan gasket...