Jump to content
motorman7

"The Orange"

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

 

What’s your rules for silver vs yellow plating? Looks like everything suspension/steering/drivetrain and engine bay gets yellow and silver for everything else?

also how did you finish your halfshafts? Is it clear over aluminum paint? Looks quite striking, only ever seen black used. 

Do you just wire wheel and clear coat the gearbox case? 

Ryan

 

For plating, I try to keep everything as factory stock original as possible in regard to yellow and silver.  I am sure on some items I may be incorrect, but it is my best attempt to get things right.  I know the earlier Z's had a little more silver items than the later Z's, so not really sure at what times the changes took place.  I did notice at the 2019 ZCON, most judges had no idea what was correct so I wasn't marked off for any plating discrepancies.  However, Jim Fredericks was there and was able to teach me a bit on some items that were not correct, so I try and learn from those instances.

For the half shafts, since most of the original black paint is usually gone, I typically just strip and clear coat.  Sometimes the metal is stained so I paint with flat aluminum and clear or plain aluminum and matte clear.  I know they are supposed to be black, but it gets kind of boring under there with everything being black.  So, I do take a bit of artistic license on the half shaft, as well as the back of the differential which should also be black.

For the trans case, I hit it with the fiber wheel and clear coat.  Wire wheels usually scratch too much.  Again, if the housing is pretty stained I will paint with flat aluminum then clear coat.  

Also, for the valve cover, I now just clean with steel wool and phosphoric acid (wear gloves and goggles).  After the cleaning, I use a little Maguires aluminum polish just as a preservative.  I prefer the light bead blast look, but got dinged for that at ZCON.  Ideally, I should probably look into vapor blasting for the cover.

 

Rich

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, motorman7 said:

For plating, I try to keep everything as factory stock original as possible in regard to yellow and silver.  I am sure on some items I may be incorrect, but it is my best attempt to get things right.  I know the earlier Z's had a little more silver items than the later Z's, so not really sure at what times the changes took place.  I did notice at the 2019 ZCON, most judges had no idea what was correct so I wasn't marked off for any plating discrepancies.  However, Jim Fredericks was there and was able to teach me a bit on some items that were not correct, so I try and learn from those instances.

For the half shafts, since most of the original black paint is usually gone, I typically just strip and clear coat.  Sometimes the metal is stained so I paint with flat aluminum and clear or plain aluminum and matte clear.  I know they are supposed to be black, but it gets kind of boring under there with everything being black.  So, I do take a bit of artistic license on the half shaft, as well as the back of the differential which should also be black.

For the trans case, I hit it with the fiber wheel and clear coat.  Wire wheels usually scratch too much.  Again, if the housing is pretty stained I will paint with flat aluminum then clear coat.  

Also, for the valve cover, I now just clean with steel wool and phosphoric acid (wear gloves and goggles).  After the cleaning, I use a little Maguires aluminum polish just as a preservative.  I prefer the light bead blast look, but got dinged for that at ZCON.  Ideally, I should probably look into vapor blasting for the cover.

Rich

Awesome thanks mate.  Yeah really like the halfshafts finished like that, and the backplate of the diff.

Keep up the quality restoration inspo!

 Ryan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the rear hatch glass installed.  It was quite a challenge as it was a bit older gasket (customer provided) and somewhat stiff.  Had to  stretch it around the glass as the fit was tight. And, had to have my wife help me on the install, where  usually I can install the rear glass in about 10 minutes (Precision brand) all by myself.  On the flip side, the older gasket was a better fit and covers the corners better.  Also, it had some waxy substance on it to preserve it (I think) which made it a bit messy on the install.  I am thinking it was a factory gasket due to the nice fit for both the corners and the metal trim.

Also installed the front and rear brake flex lines and front bumper supports. The gloss black powder coat on the bumper supports looks beautiful....very shiny.

20200923_121631.jpg

20200923_171509.jpg

20200921_175548.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy seeing these progress updates.  I am still trying to finish up bodywork on my project.  I have a ways to go.  

Do you think it would be possible to have brake hoses (assembled rubber ones with fittings) run throught the plating/yellow chromating process?  I am not educated as to what can be run through the plating process that is not metal.  It seems, for example, that running the emissions pieces through is possible, or at least, I think people are doing that based on pics I see.  I forget what the one control valve is called, but I think it is the one that slows throttle closure - I can't believe people are able to source those new, and I don't think people are taking them apart to plate just the metal bits either.  

Other things like the throttle linkage bar with plastic sockets, the hatch receivers (with plastic wedges captured), and door latch pieces (with captured plastic parts) can be re-plated obviously.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know much about the process either but the plater I used is probably the one you would use based on proximity. Anything that was plastic was left with a bad chalky look. The ends on the dog bones, the plastic bits on the door striker parts. Not really a good look. You can polish them a little and make them look ok. 
 

I know you are talking about rubber hoses, I can’t think of anything rubber I sent to them. You will more then likely have to have a couple of batches of things anyway. Run a bad or old one through with some of your other stuff and test it. 
 

i didn’t have them clear zinc anything. Maybe that problem is only with the yellow chromate. 

Edited by Clay C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, inline6 said:

Do you think it would be possible to have brake hoses (assembled rubber ones with fittings) run throught the plating/yellow chromating process? 

I've had a lot of plating done but all by one guy up here in Toronto,  rubber doesn't seem to be affected at all from the process but I'm not sure I would subject brake hoses to it just out of abundance of caution. The damage to the plastic is based on the amount of time it stays immersed in the acid bath, if the metal is badly rusted it needs to stay in the bath longer and the plastic pays for it.  The best way I have found is to remove as much of the rust as possible from anything with plastic on it so the piece needs the shortest amount of time in the bath.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For plating, I think every place is different.  I like Sav-On in Phoenix, but they do have their short comings.  Seems like they tumble clean the parts, so the plastic and rubber can get a little beat up.  That needs to be taken into consideration.  Some platers require that you do all of the cleaning and they just plate.  That is probably a bit easier on the rubber and plastic.  Also,  you have to watch out for parts with cavities.  I usually bag those separately and send a note along to make sure the parts are well dried before shipping.  For flexible brake hoses,  I just buy new ones since they are pretty cheap.  Always good to have brake lines in good condition.

Got the door sound deadening in and windows with window frames.  Also installed headliner and pillar vinyl.  Will install windshield today.

20200924_120658.jpg

20200924_185022.jpg

20200924_171648.jpg

20200924_170805.jpg

20200924_170438.jpg

20200924_170404.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, motorman7 said:

For plating, I think every place is different.  I like Sav-On in Phoenix, but they do have their short comings.  Seems like they tumble clean the parts, so the plastic and rubber can get a little beat up.  That needs to be taken into consideration.  Some platers require that you do all of the cleaning and they just plate.  That is probably a bit easier on the rubber and plastic.  Also,  you have to watch out for parts with cavities.  I usually bag those separately and send a note along to make sure the parts are well dried before shipping.  For flexible brake hoses,  I just buy new ones since they are pretty cheap.  Always good to have brake lines in good condition.

Yes, new brake and clutch lines are inexpensive and I procured those, but the fittings on them are clear zinc coated instead of yellow chromate or cadmium, if that was ever done on the originals.  Not a big deal as my car will not end up being an attempt at showroom new presentation, but I am sure the original fittings on the brake and clutch lines were gold colored.  

I have lots of zip lock bags of hardware that I have been measuring and describing in detail (classifying) in a spreadsheet.  Before long, I will have to take the plunge and empty all of the "clear zinc" into one box and "yellow chromate" into another.  Going to be mentally challenging for sure, as "they all get mixed up" then.  🥶 

It will be quite the project to get them back from the plater and spend the time to identify them and put them back in their original locations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inline6 said:

Yes, new brake and clutch lines are inexpensive and I procured those, but the fittings on them are clear zinc coated instead of yellow chromate or cadmium, if that was ever done on the originals.  Not a big deal as my car will not end up being an attempt at showroom new presentation, but I am sure the original fittings on the brake and clutch lines were gold colored.  

I have lots of zip lock bags of hardware that I have been measuring and describing in detail (classifying) in a spreadsheet.  Before long, I will have to take the plunge and empty all of the "clear zinc" into one box and "yellow chromate" into another.  Going to be mentally challenging for sure, as "they all get mixed up" then.  🥶 

It will be quite the project to get them back from the plater and spend the time to identify them and put them back in their original locations.

I dont know quite how Motorman does it. Except he may have them memorized

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2020 at 5:05 PM, Patcon said:

I don't know quite how Motorman does it. Except he may have them memorized

I know most of them, but often use my library of pics or check my others Z's.  Still probably get some of them wrong.

 

Got the windshield in and trim installed.  Started working on the interior-installing sound deadening material and the firewall pad, vents, hood latch, side drains.  Got the 'steelies' powder coated and new Toyo's installed.  Things are coming along.  Will probably start doing heater and fan parts tomorrow.

Also, found something that works better than clamps when doing pillar interior  trim- old door weatherstipping 

20200926_185118.jpg

20200926_185212.jpg

20200926_185201.jpg

20200926_185156.jpg

20200926_185139.jpg

20201008_202419.jpg

20201008_172241.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, grannyknot said:

?

Forgot to add pic.  This really works well for securing the vinyl.  

20200926_131933.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More progress.  Got the fuel tank cleaned up and installed along with the vent hoses and sender unit.  Rear bumper is assembled and installed.  Wiper motor and linkage installed.  Got my braided hoses in, so started installing those.  Added the air cleaner decals.  Will order starter and alternator this week and get those in next.  That gets us pretty close to starting this baby up.  Still waiting for center console vinyl.  Long wait for that item, over a month.

20201017_173147.jpg

20201015_181638.jpg

20201013_143942.jpg

20201011_170650.jpg

IMG_20201008_213252_982.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the new seat upholstery installed.  Also added the brake booster and master cylinder.  Got the new exhaust system installed along with a few more hoses and interior parts.  Also picked up the cowl and fuel door from Miguel.  Fenders and hood will be ready in two weeks.

20201024_162325.jpg

20201024_162259.jpg

20201023_151748.jpg

20201023_151713.jpg

20201023_150952.jpg

20201023_150907.jpg

20201024_162339.jpg

IMG_20201023_073330_836.jpg

IMG_20201023_073330_837.jpg

IMG_20201023_073330_838.jpg

IMG_20201023_073330_844.jpg

IMG_20201023_073330_846.jpg

20201023_130532.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the reflection in the rear valance!!!

Thats a hard panel to get that smooth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.