IGNORED

Break in oil usage.

Reptoid Overlords

I am about a weekend away from firing up my F54/P79 for the first time after having the head shaved .080 along with new valves, lash pads and valve stem seals. The cam, springs, and rocker arms have been retained.

The bottom end has not been rebuilt, torn down or modified in any way. There is the possibility that it has been rebuilt in the past, but I can't prove it, aside from clean internals and freeze plugs that were cleaner than the outside of the block. I have driven that engine before, about 2 years ago before I took it out of the car I got it from.

So my question is, should I run break in oil and follow engine rebuild procedure even if I just had a few things done to the head, and aside from new seals, left the bottom end as is?

Or should I run the oil I intend to use permanently, let it come to temp, look for leaks, listen for bad noises, and adjust the valve lash again, followed by about 100 miles of driving before another oil change?

It should be noted that I will be driving it open headers to my neighbors house so he can weld my exhaust before I can do any real road tests.

Sent from my Coolpad 3310A using Tapatalk

It's already broken in.  I'd just fill it with the oil you intend to use and go right to whatever oil change schedule you normally follow.  The only new wear surfaces are the valve ends and the lash pads and they don't see the same sliding wear that the cam lobes do.

One opinion..

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Or should I run the oil I intend to use permanently, let it come to temp, look for leaks, listen for bad noises, and adjust the valve lash again, followed by about 100 miles of driving before another oil change?

What Zedheadsaid with one exception. I'd do the quick oil change after 100 miles like you mentioned. My thinking on that is that there may be debris knocked loose by all the work you did to the engine that you want to get out of there. Hopefully if something was knocked loose, it'll be in the filter. I'm guessing you were thinking the same thing.

And if you're going to do that, I'd try to get the nose of the car up a little bit to make it downhill for more oil to run out the drain hole in the pan. And I'd get it nice and hot first so the oil is all mixed up and runny from the heat. Park it and immediately try to get it draining.

Just don't burn yourself on the exhaust pipe or scald yourself with the hot oil. Just let the drain plug fall into the pan and you can fish it out later. My wounds have just recently healed over.    :facepalm:

• Like 1

Just a reminder to fill the radiator with just distilled water for the first little bit. Why? Because if you do have a leak water is easier to clean up and deal with than anti-freeze Ask me how I know...blown out brand new freeze plug. What a mess!. After you determine no leaks you can fill with whatever solution is right for your car/area.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1