IGNORED

Headlight Washer Jet/Nozzle

on my 280zx 10th Anniversary model one of the headlight jets leaks , causing the washer fluid to leak out on the headlamp - What do I need to do to stop it from leaking , do I have to replace the jet/nozzle? I guess I could empty the fluid container but I want to use the washer.

Thanks

Edited by H. Roeckelein

2 hours ago, H. Roeckelein said:

on my 280zx 10th Anniversary model one of the headlight jets leaks , causing the washer fluid to leak out on the headlamp - What do I need to do to stop it from leaking , do I have to replace the jet/nozzle? I guess I could empty the fluid container but I want to use the washer.

Thanks

I suspect it is the pump leaking not the jet

4 hours ago, H. Roeckelein said:

Only one nozzle/jet leaks/omits fluid . if it was the pump I would guess both nozzles/jets would leak??

Not if that one is closest to the pump and the line goes up somewhat from there. The jets are really just open holes on the end of the line. I would expect the pump to be what determines if fluid comes out or not. Admittedly I have touched one in a long time

Thanks , sounds logical - I did have to replace my old pump did it with a used one so that could be my problem, although in the service manual it reflects a  "T" valve which connects the pump hose and then the left and right headlight washer hoses, could this valve be my problem or is this just an open "T" valve??? 

Edited by H. Roeckelein
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a 1982 Datsun 280XZ with the passenger side headlight washer nozzle that has the same slow leak.  The pump is likely the culprit.  The reason is that the hose from the pump goes almost straight downward to a "T" where it splits to the left and right headlights.  I suspect the reason the right leaks and the left doesn't is because of the long run, relatively, to the right headlight nozzle.  There is enough mass to push fluid out of the right nozzle. To validate I took off the pump outlet hose and the pump outlet was leaking.   I will purchase a new pump.  

Did you already figure yours out?

Edited by John B

Thanks.  Does anybody out there have a 1982 Datsun 280ZX Headlight Washer Pump for sale?  I found an iffy one on eBay, a $140 rebuilt one on ZCarSource.com without picture, and one on ZParts.com for $125, but their order page is "broken" and I don't know if this is a reliable web site.  I appreciate any help.

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 9.20.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.00.43 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

The headlight washer pump on my 83 ZXT died years ago. Since I regard this as in contention for the most useless feature ever installed on a passenger car, I have cheerfully ignored it.

There's a similar feature on my 2008 BMW 328ix Sportwagon, and the driver's side nozzle kept leaking and depleting the washer fluid. I noticed that it only leaked for a couple of hours after the system activated (automatically) so I pulled the fuse for the headlight washer. Now the headlight washers don't work when I wash the windshield, and they don't leak. 

And when I wash the windshield, I do the headlights.

Edited by Pilgrim

Thanks Pilgrim.  I enjoyed your post.  I'm almost where you are, but not quite - sentimentality I guess.  Eric, from ZParts is checking on one for me.  That looks like the end of the line!  And I agree it is a useless feature.