IGNORED

1978 280Z coolant temperature sensors

One Way

Slowly proceeding with restoring the thermostat housing/water outlet assembly.  Lots of BLASTER and quite a bit of patience got all the sensors and fittings removed and the outlet separated from the thermostat housing.  My question is on the sending unit with the single terminal stud.  All of the ones I am locating do not have any threads, unlike the threaded version that was removed.  Is that sending unit pressed into the nut or am I looking up the wrong part?  The thermo timer seems to be the most expensive of the 3 sensors.  Any recommendations or do I just bite the bullet and order a new one along with the cold start valve.  The housings are now all cleaned, primed, and painted with the ceramic engine paint and look good.  Just looking for some info on the best option for the additional parts needed.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.  Enjoying every minute of the resurrection project!

water temp sending unit for gauge, two part, threaded and the sensor, sometimes they are so corroded together that it seems like one.

Thermotime, expensive, no cheap alternative, about 80$ new. Used ones are a gamble. Only used in temps less than about 65f, although there are others that will fire the cold start valve at temps as warm as 85f. Bosch was used by a lot of different makes in the 70's, IIRC the VW bug for example.

I think I ended up getting the warm fire one thinking it would help starting on days when temps were moderate.

Does yours have the water temp switch? big fat stubby threads, two wires that come out with bullet connectors? IIRC that can be used for ign timing or EGR (cali cars had the EGR setup).

That one is not easy to find, but you can make your own with a thermal NC reed switch.

Thanks for the responses.  I did get 2 of the temperature sensors.  They look to be correct and match right up to the old corroded sensors.  O'Reilly Auto Parts have the 2 parts that fit my 78 280Z.  17-1253  & 17-1233, both under the line code of IDI.  They also list the cold start valve under Standard Ignition brand but have no listing for the thermo timer sensor.  Most of the dedicated Z sites do offer that sensor and I guess I will be purchasing one soon.  Great tech article from siteunseen.  Thank you, John-Lugoff, SC.

• Like 1