IGNORED

Fuel pump issues - Elec pump controller

David F

I am having fuel pump issues on my 72 Z.  I have three fuel pump, one old OEM and two new look-a-likes.  The two new pumps pumped a few hours then quit.  Sit them on the bench a while and they may pump again for a short duration.  Anyway, I have three pumps that I don't trust, so I purchased an electric pump (stock carbs).  But, I have not installed the electric pump yet because I have not decided how I want to ensure the pump stops when the engine dies.  So, I found this:

http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Has anyone used the above controller.  Looks like a good solution and super easy to install. I would mount it behind the radio.

Thanks, I have read that write-up and want to avoid all the added wires/relays and oil pressure sensor under the hood.  I think with the referenced controller, at the worst, I would have to run one wire to the coil. The rest would be existing right behind the radio.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update (finally):  This weekend (now that the weather is getting cooler in Central Texas), I installed the electric fuel pump and electronic controller. I left the marginal mechanical pump in place.  It all works beautifully so far.  I cannot hear the pump running,  car started after sitting a few weeks without starter fluid.  The only issue I ran into was the pump was not getting power.  Turns out someone before me had left the pump lead (green wire) disconnected at the splice point under the glove box.

So, the only wire I had to run was a tachometer signal wire from the negative side of the coil. I simply followed the main engine bay harness.  I though about removing the mechanical pump and actually purchased a blank-off plate.  But, I like the original look with the pump in place.