IGNORED

Front End Versatility?

moozieman

Is it possible for me to put a 240 grille on a 280? What about a 240 valence on a 280? The 280z had the small front markers in the grille. The 240 has them built into the valence piece.

Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 11.22.51 AM.png

Edited by moozieman

Grill: Yes, Bug will need some modifications.

Valance: No

240Z indicator: Possible. With air-dam.

To fit a 240Z grill you need to remove the 280Z indicators and preferably the supports.

The two outer sdctions of the valances will fit, but the valance center section is too high and hit the frame section undrr the larger 280Z radiator.

If you use an air-dam for the 240Z, you can fit the 240Z indicators. The air-dam is low enough the cover the frame and doesn't curve back like to original valance. If you go this route, don't forget to get the two 240Z wiring harness with lamp socket. They ard different to the 280Z and the sockets won't fit.

How do I know all this. Been there, done that.....

Here is my thread on it. Success.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

Grill: Yes, Bug will need some modifications.

Valance: No

240Z indicator: Possible. With air-dam.

To fit a 240Z grill you need to remove the 280Z indicators and preferably the supports.

The two outer sdctions of the valances will fit, but the valance center section is too high and hit the frame section undrr the larger 280Z radiator.

If you use an air-dam for the 240Z, you can fit the 240Z indicators. The air-dam is low enough the cover the frame and doesn't curve back like to original valance. If you go this route, don't forget to get the two 240Z wiring harness with lamp socket. They ard different to the 280Z and the sockets won't fit.

How do I know all this. Been there, done that.....

Here is my thread on it. Success.

Perfect! I had already planned on putting on an air dam so ill see how that works out.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:55 AM, heyitsrama said:

you have to modify the mounts on the lower middle valance, they are different between 70-73 and 74 (even though they look the same), air dam type 1 is cost effective and looks great.

That is correct. You also need to make special brackets to mount the top section. It is actually better to make a grill out ot the 280Z grill parts and the bars and top brackets from the 240Z.

I extended the grills I made to fill the gap under the bumper. I am thinking about redoing mine after improving the design on the last two. If you go to page two in my thread, from post 28 onwards, you can see the alterations.

You could also use the Skillard grill. I sent my brackets to a couple members so they could fit those grills. If anyone wants info in that, just send a pm.

https://skillard.com/products/datsun-280z-front-grill-with-turn-signal-delete

https://skillard.com/products/datsun-240z-front-grill

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, heyitsrama said:

you have to modify the mounts on the lower middle valance, they are different between 70-73 and 74 (even though they look the same), air dam type 1 is cost effective and looks great.

I've looked into that. I think ill just do a type 1 240z dam. Thanks!

• Like 1

Mine had the front "air dam" when I bought it.  I found a 240z grille and put it on, had to kind of rig it up to fit though.  I also got rid of the stock signal lights, and found some aftermarket fog lights that fit into those 2 "brake duct" openings.  I removed the fog light bulb and routed the turn signal lights to these housings.  It was a lot of "rigging", but it works and I think it looks great!  Those are also H4 Headlight upgrades.

z front.jpg

• Like 1