IGNORED

1973 240z Brake / Fuel Lines - SS or CAD

Huge decision to make...Stainless hard lines or mild steel and then have them cadmium plated...? I like the idea of stainless, but have been told there can be sealing issues at the fittings. I have made the decision that pre-bent is the way to go and there isn't that much of a cost difference between SS and mild steel. I don't know the cost of plating, but can't imagine that it isn't cheap. It also stalls the work on the car. Opinions, please...!

Stainless lines and steel fittings is very nice.  I wouldn't do stainless with stainless, I had to tear a brake line kit in my bronco for that reason.  

Plating is super super cheap, find a local shop, you will be surprised.  I would guess all the brakes and fuel lines would be 50$-75 for me to have plated.  Can you get all yours off?  Proper brake line wrenchs, heat and time and I got all to break free but 1.  

• 1 month later...

I just wonder if installing stainless lines will hurt the value of a high-end restoration...? And if so, by how much. I have so much in this one that I am probably going to have to sell it when finished. I ordered Copper Nickel line from FedHill but the color was way off of the Yellow Cadmium of the rest of the parts in the engine bay.

19 hours ago, Tirnipgreen said:

I ordered Copper Nickel line from FedHill but the color was way off of the Yellow Cadmium of the rest of the parts in the engine bay.

What makes you think that the plated engine parts are 'Yellow Cadmium'?

Nissan said that it's all Zinc, with differing passivated finishes depending on location and use.

All I am saying is that the Copper Nickle finish on the FedHill Cuniform line was very red and I would like a gold / yellow finish on the lines. I spoke with a plater in Atlanta yesterday who reluctantly (but benevolently) agreed to plate whatever I brought him in Yellow Zinc as long as it is not stainless. I don't want to be chastised by guys on Bring A Trailer for using stainless lines (God forbid) when I can just as easily do them in plated mild steel and be factory correct. I am surprised that no company offers the hard lines (bulk or pre-bent) in a gold cad finish...or do they...? I am new to the World of Datsun...been around Triumph TR4's all my life, so be patient...please...!

5 minutes ago, Tirnipgreen said:

All I am saying is that the Copper Nickle finish on the FedHill Cuniform line was very red and I would like a gold / yellow finish on the lines. I spoke with a plater in Atlanta yesterday who reluctantly (but benevolently) agreed to plate whatever I brought him in Yellow Zinc as long as it is not stainless. I don't want to be chastised by guys on Bring A Trailer for using stainless lines (God forbid) when I can just as easily do them in plated mild steel and be factory correct. I am surprised that no company offers the hard lines (bulk or pre-bent) in a gold cad finish...or do they...? I am new to the World of Datsun...been around Triumph TR4's all my life, so be patient...please...!

I'd go with the plater's offer of 'Yellow Zinc' (they call it 'Gold Passivated Zinc' where I come from) if I were you. It's the most correct finish.

Lots of people - even on Bring a Troller - talk about "Cad" plating on these cars, but use of Cadmium was already on its way out in Japan and had been linked to some pretty scandalous poisoning/pollution cases (look up 'Itai Itai Byo'). I believe Nissan and the majority of its suppliers had already dropped its use when these cars were being made.

Nissan referred to the plating as '亜鉛' ('A-en') which is Zinc.

I will gather all of the parts to be plated and (hopefully) all will be acceptable to the plater. I saw on Zeddsaver's website a picture of the hood hinges in Yellow Zinc. Mine are painted body color (115 Metallic Blue)...anyone care to comment...? Thanks for the help...!

Edited by Tirnipgreen

1 hour ago, Tirnipgreen said:

I will gather all of the parts to be plated and (hopefully) all will be acceptable to the plater. I saw on Zeddsaver's website a picture of the hood hinges in Yellow Zinc. Mine are painted body color (115 Metallic Blue)...anyone care to comment...? Thanks for the help...!

When the car was originally painted at the factory the hood was attached.  Ergo... the hinges would have been painted at the same time.