Alternator Upgrade for '71 240Z - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Alternator Upgrade for '71 240Z

Featured Replies

I bought the 60-amp alternator upgrade kit from MSA for my January 1971 240Z.  Is it really a straight swap or should I be upgrading other things?  What is your experience?

Edited by kunzma

1 minute ago, 240260280 said:

Do it all.

If this means do the Headlight relay kit too, I completely agree. I've also done all external bulbs to LED to lower the power draw throughout the wiring harness.

8 hours ago, kunzma said:

I bought the 60-amp alternator upgrade kit from MSA for my January 1971 240Z.  Is it really a straight swap or should I be upgrading other things?  What is your experience?

It is a straight bolt-in , plug-in swap.  When it's done you'll have a 60 amp alternator, internally regulated.  No need to worry about modifying wires and other things, your electrical system will pull the same amount of current.  You won't smoke any wires with the upgrade to 60 amps.

The other mods are good to have, but nothing extra is necessary for the MSA upgrade.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
On 4/16/2019 at 10:52 PM, Zed Head said:

It is a straight bolt-in , plug-in swap.  When it's done you'll have a 60 amp alternator, internally regulated.  No need to worry about modifying wires and other things, your electrical system will pull the same amount of current.  You won't smoke any wires with the upgrade to 60 amps.

The other mods are good to have, but nothing extra is necessary for the MSA upgrade.

Thanks.  I was thinking that was the case.  Did the install Wednesday, but ran out of time to test it before heading out on a trip.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.