IGNORED

280z space saver spare tire replacement?

chaseincats

I bought a space saver spare from eBay. It worked great. I have a 280ZX and you need the space saver if you're going to fit it in the rear side wall compartment. I posted a video on YT if you'd like to see what it looks like inflated and installed on a 280ZX. 

Good point. For now it allows me to roll the car around the garage until I get some new wheels. I bought the car with one flat tire that has a bent rim. I really like the Konig Rewind wheels and may end up with some of those.

• 5 months later...

So I know this is a slightly old thread, but I have a slightly different direction from what’s been mentioned that might work with bigger brakes.

I have maxima calipers on the back and Toyota calipers on the front. The 14x6” rims I have fit but the wheel weights the tire shop used hit the calipers. This made me realize that a Datsun rim isn’t going to fit, so I am looking at getting a 2007 Nissan Sentra spare tire rim (PN: 40300-ET077) and fitting a Yokohama Y870B - SIZE: T135/80D16 tire to it. This should be similar to what @SoCalJim uses but closer to the stock tire diameter.

I haven’t verified that the offset for that rim will work, but a spacer could solve that issue. The other thing I need to check is if that tire will fit into the spare tire well. It should be 24.9” in diameter inflated. The wheel is 4” wide plus however far the center sticks out (it’s a front wheel drive wheel).

Maybe this will all work out.

Edited by Matthew Abate

On 8/16/2020 at 1:55 AM, chaseincats said:

I really wouldn't drive on that - its 40 year old rubber...

Did'nt see this topic..  Few month's ago i asked my "tire guy" what a new tire for my 42 year old 280zx spare would cost.. oh he sayd thats the same sort of tire Porsche uses..  He sayd about 400 euro's...  pfff..  no thanks i use my old one as it's not that hot overhere the tyre looks still good after 40+ years of hidding for the sun!  😉 

If someone knows a good solution let me know...

5 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Did'nt see this topic..  Few month's ago i asked my "tire guy" what a new tire for my 42 year old 280zx spare would cost.. oh he sayd thats the same sort of tire Porsche uses..  He sayd about 400 euro's...  pfff..  no thanks i use my old one as it's not that hot overhere the tyre looks still good after 40+ years of hidding for the sun!  😉 

If someone knows a good solution let me know...

If you're talking about finding a replacement for the accordion-style spare that came with the '77/78 (and maybe ZX?) then I don't believe you can get those anywhere.  Tires for the standard wheels can be bought off amazon for like $60 each so I'm not sure what he's talking about...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Tires for the standard wheels can be bought off amazon for like $60 each so I'm not sure what he's talking about...

I'll have a look at it.. although i'm not a fan of "amazon"..    ( And.. Yes the spare wheel of the later 280z and 280zx i think are exactly the same.. should be no problem.)