IGNORED

Price check L24 engine

madkaw

Thinking I’m going to let me L24 go to help finance bigger displacement ventures. I’m not a numbers matching guy and my car is to modified to ever be “ correct” . This is the original head and block for this car. I would let go of the motor ID plate if wanted. Right now just interested in price ranges you guys come up with.

Moderator - move this thread if not I  appropriate location.

Asking opinions on price for the complete long block.

P30 block .30 over . Block includes timing cover , damper, water pump , NO flywheel

E88 Head (9/71 car , so early head design like E31) chambers 37cc , so yes it’s been shaved.

Isky 290/490 cam , Schneider springs, 44mm intake, 35mm exhaust, some blending work, but not really ported. 

Power band is 4000-7000rpm

Head has been drilled to accept EFI, but it was originally SU carbs.

Engine dynoed 155 rwhp . 

54CD4CD8-87E7-4221-84F7-1E18D6137BDE.jpeg

7402B20F-FAC9-43B4-A3B9-9CE27FEE0A9B.jpeg

That's kind of a tough one,  I have followed the work you have done on that engine over the years and if I needed one would buy yours without hesitation and sleep well.  It's a sweet, ready to go drop in but then,  the obvious question would be why would you buy an L24 when you could buy an L28?  Lots of L24's sitting in the corner of garages, I just gave one away to friend.

Hope you are not insulted,  on your engine I would lay out $1,200 - 1,500  on an identical unknown engine, not more than $600

No insult taken, obviously there will be many perspectives on this. For someone that could build an engine themselves, would probably not spend as much money for a prebuilt motor. 

For someone that doesn’t have that skill and are just happy to have a ready to go drop in motor , they would pay more I am betting. 

The fact that size matters might not be true for everyone. Being a modified L24 might make up for it not being a L28. Someone might run it like it is and then take the head off and drop it on a L28 later. 

9 hours ago, madkaw said:

For someone that could build an engine themselves, would probably not spend as much money for a prebuilt motor. 

For someone that doesn’t have that skill and are just happy to have a ready to go drop in motor , they would pay more I am betting. 

I was just about to add that exact comment to my post,  I'm the wrong kind of buyer.

Maybe in Zurich ! 

But seriously , if someone added up all the parts , machine work , labor , it adds up fast . A mild performance head could be 1500$ easy.

Not too many places to do any window shopping - lol

Maybe a way to come up with a price is to first figure out what Eiji at Datsun Spirit or Dave Rebello would charge for a similar engine with similar hp numbers. Once you know that, I would think you also have to realistically know that the likelihood that you can charge the same as a proven engine builder is pretty slim....regardless of how nicely done your engine is. After that maybe you figure out what the discount is from a proven builder's price. In the end the market will determine what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 1