IGNORED

1976 280z engine runs rough then dies, will not idle.

mbz

21 hours ago, Dave WM said:

wow, that is bummer, poor QC and packaging. 

Yeah, right?

I did some calling around this morning and found that the OEM part no longer exists. Apparently it's been out of production / not available from Nissan for about 6+ years or so.

Called a few places looking for NOS or an unsold OEM part that had been sitting on a shelf, no such luck.

It seems that the only way to get one of these is the 3rd party Standard Intermotor part, which is what I ordered from RockAuto, but they sent me that used, janky looking part.

It's been ordered from another supplier and should be here in a day or so. (hopefully)

Will let you know when it arrives.

Great video above, I think I have a pretty good grasp of this part of the FI system after this crash course!

Edited by mbz

1 minute ago, Dave WM said:

pictures (on moving pictures/video) is worth a 1000 words.

Was actually just watching your video on compression test.

Between your videos and Restoration For Beginners videos, there is just about everything you need to know about these cars online!

I'll see if I can add to the library as I do some work on my Z, but I'm terrible at producing videos so don't hold me to that.

If there's a wrecking yard nearby you might check for a 1978 280Z or 280ZX fuel rail and regulator.  They will transplant over and it looks like you can get Bosch parts.

Edit - the picture they show on Rockauto is wrong but it shows right on Amazon.  Cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-64018-Fuel-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B000BZGAOO

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1980,280zx,2.8l+l6,1209316,fuel+&+air,fuel+injection+pressure+regulator,6124

Edited by Zed Head

1 hour ago, mbz said:

Yeah, right?

I did some calling around this morning and found that the OEM part no longer exists. Apparently it's been out of production / not available from Nissan for about 6+ years or so.

Called a few places looking for NOS or an unsold OEM part that had been sitting on a shelf, no such luck.

It seems that the only way to get one of these is the 3rd party Standard Intermotor part, which is what I ordered from RockAuto, but they sent me that used, janky looking part.

It's been ordered from another supplier and should be here in a day or so. (hopefully)

Will let you know when it arrives.

Great video above, I think I have a pretty good grasp of this part of the FI system after this crash course!

I have a NOS 22670-F5101 sitting in front of me if you are interested. I believe it is what you are looking for but confirm that

54 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I have a NOS 22670-F5101 sitting in front of me if you are interested. I believe it is what you are looking for but confirm that

I looked up that part number, and while it is for a Datsun Z car fuel pressure regulator, I cannot match the part number with any known part numbers for the FPR on a 1976 280z.

The corresponding part numbers I could find are: Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 13531260789, 22670N09800, 22670N4200, 22670N9800, 22670N9801

Does it look like this...?

188945401_PR124photoprimary__ra_p.jpg.6cb8c0e483921328b3e1582353f26b82.jpg

Edited by mbz

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I might have a used one but would have to look

Thank you for the offer, but I would pass on the used one if only for the reason that it is more prone to a shorter life-span.

I have other issues with the car that need my attention, the FPR / running rich issue was an unexpected diversion from my original resto game plan.

Edited by mbz
  • Like 1

OK so I have the replacement fuel pressure regulator in hand. It appears to be suitable upon visual inspection.

Regarding installation, I'm thinking I should probably take off the entire fuel rail rather than just trying to swap it out in place.

Thoughts on this....? (Pros - Cons)