IGNORED

Complete roof R&R

madkaw

you just remove the skin from donor roof and cut out about 93 spot welds on each roof.

Then install new roof skin.

You will not want to cut the pillars because they are formed by muti-layers of metal. 

torch out the factory lead at the 4 seams. 

a few pics... 

after replaced roof skin...

zroof6.jpg

multi layers of metal....

zroof1.jpg

sunroof skin out... drill spot welds from top

zroof2.jpg

lead front pillar..

zroof3.jpg

donor roof ... drill spot welds from bottom/inside on this one.

zroof4.jpg

after.....

zroof5.jpg

Copy of z4.jpg

Edited by nix240z
  • Like 4

Guys,

yes it is a bad rust issue that has rotted a lot of the substructure of the roof crossmembers . So I want to swap out the whole roof -pillars and all.

The layered structure of the Z chassis makes it difficult to undo and reattach . I’ve been staring at it for days . This is for 4858 or I wouldn’t even consider it . The car is pretty solid other than this. It has the normal floor stuff , but the roof is kind of baffling . I think the rain got behind the seal and sat in the vinyl and rusted from inside out . 

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

Guys,

yes it is a bad rust issue that has rotted a lot of the substructure of the roof crossmembers . So I want to swap out the whole roof -pillars and all.

The layered structure of the Z chassis makes it difficult to undo and reattach . I’ve been staring at it for days . This is for 4858 or I wouldn’t even consider it . The car is pretty solid other than this. It has the normal floor stuff , but the roof is kind of baffling . I think the rain got behind the seal and sat in the vinyl and rusted from inside out . 

maybe you could post some pictures of the rust areas....

I think I would remove the roof skin and then patch the underlying structure where necessary. Then reattach the roof skin. As long as the rust doesn't get too far into the corners, this would give the best repair I think. I don't think I would trust my welding on an A pillar not to mention the potential warpage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I think I would remove the roof skin and then patch the underlying structure where necessary. Then reattach the roof skin. As long as the rust doesn't get too far into the corners, this would give the best repair I think. I don't think I would trust my welding on an A pillar not to mention the potential warpage

You would only be able to weld the outer metal frame and not the multi layers inside which make up the structural part of the pilars.   

Also it would have to be measured and replaced  perfectly or the windshield would not fit.  

29 minutes ago, nix240z said:

You would only be able to weld the outer metal frame and not the multi layers inside which make up the structural part of the pilars.   

Also it would have to be measured and replaced  perfectly or the windshield would not fit.  

I agree with Patcon here.  Peel the roof skin and see what you have first.  Before cutting into or attempting to remove the pillars.  At that point you are no worse off than you are today, and everything is still lined up.

Consider putting it on a jig beforehand. 

re: windshield - yes fitment is a concern.  So when reattaching the roof position it with Cleco fasteners or sheet metal screws and make sure it is properly aligned and the windshield fits before welding it in.

Edited by ConVerTT
Typo