IGNORED

Repair distributor vacuum advance pot?

chaseincats

Hi,

Question for you guys.

My distributor's vacuum advance vacuum pot's bladder has a leak and is no longer working because of it.  I was able to figure out it was leaking by smoking the engine and seeing smoke coming out of the distributor cap (after capping that vacuum line off the engine ran way better).

Since that part isn't sold separately anymore, is there any way to fix it or do I just need to buy a whole new distributor?

-chase

I took one apart and found that the diaphragm had become brittle and cracked.  You might be able to pour some liquid urethane in to the vacuum port as a desperation measure.  If it bridges the gap without leaking through it might seal it up.

I wonder if one of these other Datsun parts will fit.  Still spendy.  Might as well get a 1-2-3 distributor.

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/vacuum-advance-distributor/duralast-vacuum-advance-distributor/293187_0_0_1382_5133

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/vacuum-advance-distributor/duralast-vacuum-advance-distributor/293181_0_0_1382_3498

I put one of these on my 77 that has an 80zx distributor and it seems to work just fine. Rockauto.com

Not sure what year Z you have.

Related Parts    
    NISSAN    1981    MAXIMA    2.4L L6    Exhaust & Emission    Vacuum Reservoir
Price  

BECK/ARNLEY 1790212 Info
Vacuum Reservoir CALIF equipped Except AUTO TRANS,FUEL INJECTION
Choose: 
[Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining) ($15.69)    

Part image  
$15.69
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rcb280z said:

I put one of these on my 77 that has an 80zx distributor and it seems to work just fine. Rockauto.com

Not sure what year Z you have.

Related Parts    
    NISSAN    1981    MAXIMA    2.4L L6    Exhaust & Emission    Vacuum Reservoir
Price  

BECK/ARNLEY 1790212 Info
Vacuum Reservoir CALIF equipped Except AUTO TRANS,FUEL INJECTION
Choose: 
[Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 1 Remaining) ($15.69)    

Part image  
$15.69

I have a '78 280z.  That's awesome news, did you need to make any modifications to the part so that it fit/worked/pulled the proper distance etc?

Edited by chaseincats

No to all of your questions. Bolted in like the original. I was willing to take that chance when I ordered one. Mine was bad as well. I don't recall if there is a difference between the 77 and 80 advance plates so keep that in mind. I've been running an 80 distributor for 3-4 years now. 

1 minute ago, rcb280z said:

No to all of your questions. Bolted in like the original. I was willing to take that chance when I ordered one. Mine was bad as well. I don't recall if there is a difference between the 77 and 80 advance plates so keep that in mind. I've been running an 80 distributor for 3-4 years now. 

Awesome, I'll pick this up - thanks!

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

That is a weird paste.  Seven links in one.

The ZX vacuum cans are different from the 280Z units.  Looks like you should keep your eyes open for closeouts though.

Gah, is there a way to check to see if the PO put a zx dizzy in here by chance?

Since you're working on yours, check the breaker plate for rotation.  If the bearings are rusted up or have fallen out, it might be time to just get a replacement distributor.  The vacuum unit moves the breaker plate so if it won't move anyway it's a pointless fix.  You should be able to rotate it by hand.  The vacuum unit pulls on it.