IGNORED

Demand for the 280z on the rise?

Av8ferg

So I frequently search online for 280z parts and such, typically on Craigslist via Search Tempest. I’ve noticed over the past ~18 months I seen a lot more adds saying, “looking for a 240z or 280z”. Are you all seeing the demand signal for these car going up as well. Every time my wife grumbles about having this car I always tell her I can sell it in a heartbeat If I wanted and not lose $$. I’ll be curious to see how the market for these cars matures over the coming years.

Here’s a search I did this AM. First 4 adds are looking for Z’s.

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=280z&sort=date&bundleDuplicates=1&searchNearby=1&nearbyArea=634&nearbyArea=274&nearbyArea=335&nearbyArea=36&nearbyArea=336&nearbyArea=254&nearbyArea=48&nearbyArea=464&nearbyArea=61&nearbyArea=367&nearbyArea=60&nearbyArea=272&nearbyArea=128&nearbyArea=41&nearbyArea=366&nearbyArea=101&nearbyArea=289&nearbyArea=290&nearbyArea=457&nearbyArea=462&nearbyArea=291&nearbyArea=353&nearbyArea=447&nearbyArea=446&nearbyArea=253&nearbyArea=171&nearbyArea=712&nearbyArea=323

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Never tell her you can sell it in a heartbeat! Tell her, “If I just fix it up a little more, I can get our money back”
That at least buys you time and more mods...[emoji6]

Wise man! I’m going with that tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But yes, as the market starts to rise for the 240’s, the 280’s start to look more attractive to people. Lower price, arguably better construction, and similar looks. We all want the original, but with a few mods like dropping the 3,000 lb bumpers and swapping indicators and taillights... it’s pretty hard to tell. Of course, the resale value will always be higher for the original of whichever flavour you own, but that only means anything if you plan on selling it! I never buy a car based on what I’ll sell it for later. When I’m ready to sell it, the car owes me nothing....!

• Like 1

Mine is "cocooned" in the farthest side of my garage.  I'm waiting as long as I can before selling.  Paid $1,400 in 2010 for a rust free, original paint and interior.  I spent another $500 or so rebuilding the motor.  Ended up just wetting my beak for the 240s. :love:

SDC10696.JPG

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

Yes the series 1 240's are more desirable for plenty of reasons and always will be.  Yes they made more 280's,   but if you ask me they rusted or got trashed just the same as a 240's so one could argue about which is harder to get.  When I was looking to scratch my Z itch,  I actually preferred a 280 over the 240 just for the refinements and dependability (I've owned a 240 long ago).   Since I got mine 5 years ago,  I've seen prices go up at least double on average for restorable 280's.  Throw in "restored" cars and the prices have climbed higher.  I see asking prices of 8-30K for 280's on a regular basis.  I'll add that prices can swing pretty wide from west coast to east coast with the higher prices being in the east so also toss in the regional factor.  I've ruminated on value for a while,  and wether you've brought back a 240 or 280 from the brink, I think one would be lucky to break even cost wise but the enjoyment factor is priceless, any yes, I know it's a disease.    My wife occasionally asks how much more to finish the Z and I always tell her it's a never ending story but it's worth a lot more than what I paid for it ?.

• Like 2