IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

This might be a bit out there but if the cause isn't found soon it might be worth a look,  I disassemble all new hydraulic parts I purchase because I have found more than a few things wrong over the years, muck, grease, rust, sometimes the seals are installed backward or springs missing. I hope you don't have to go that far.

I'm willing to go that far.  When ever I buy a new gun, I always dismantle it and clean it.  I've found something in just about every gun, with the exception of an H&K pistol.  Those Germans 

I'm still working on my brakes, can carburetors.  The car seems to be running pretty good, it takes some time to warm up, but once it's warm all seems to be well.  I live in a neighborhood that is pretty confined, so I went around the block today. The brakes will stop the car, but they need some work.

I noticed the car ran like it had square tires, possibly the results of sitting for 15 years. I need to put new tires on it, and I'm thinking about restoring the wheels.  What's the best way to restore the wheels?  Thank you. 

11 hours ago, Patcon said:

Wheel pictures?

All the wheels are the same as this one. The tires are shot and need to be replaced. I drove the car the other day, and after sitting for 15 years the tires have flat spots. I'm looking to restore these wheels and put new tires on.  Should I just have the wheels powder coated?  I'm not going to do anything until I'm sure of what's the best thing to do.  What about the hub caps, they also need some work? 

01b5ad75747dc2054ca65ba4fa9261bf22f940f0db.jpg

01c15a037d256e54e261bdaa72b136917b2f6c3126.jpg

01994e6307c02234bb186cbcff9d138687a0cd5543.jpg

53 minutes ago, z8987 said:

Is there any advantage in leaving it all original? 

Depends what you mean by all original. Do you mean you have a an original "survivor"? A car that shows wear but is unrestored and doesn't necessarily need restoration? True survivors can be worth a lot of money if well documented. Otherwise a well executed restoration or refreshation helps the value as well.

The wheel dated 11-73 and most likely the hubcap is from a 74 260Z.  For the future value or resale value it would be profitable to have a set of date correct stock steel wheels. (if you ever run across a set).  

If by "original" you more or less mean "stock" with original colors and more or less original looking...  the market would be far wider / greater and the Z more quickly resold.  Many enthusiast want stock/original Z's kept as the Classics they were - while other enthusiast want a stock original looking - so they can do only the modifications they specifically want, without having to pay for or correct mod's they don't want.  

• 3 months later...

I’m sorry if this is redundant. The sporting clay shooting season got in the way of me working on the car.  I’m still having some problems with the brakes, but I have a plan for that.  The tires are in pretty bad shape. After sitting for 15 years all the tires have flat spots on them. I can’t get up to speed at all.  The brakes work but I won’t take the car out of my neighborhood.

I’m looking for some tires that will fit the stock rims. They don’t need to be great tires, as I think I will buy new rims in the future.  For now I’m not sure where I’m going with the car, but I need tires.  Can somebody give me an idea of a good tire that will fit my needs.