IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

57 minutes ago, z8987 said:

I’m sorry if this is redundant. The sporting clay shooting season got in the way of me working on the car.  I’m still having some problems with the brakes, but I have a plan for that.  The tires are in pretty bad shape. After sitting for 15 years all the tires have flat spots on them. I can’t get up to speed at all.  The brakes work but I won’t take the car out of my neighborhood.

I’m looking for some tires that will fit the stock rims. They don’t need to be great tires, as I think I will buy new rims in the future.  For now I’m not sure where I’m going with the car, but I need tires.  Can somebody give me an idea of a good tire that will fit my needs. 

What about these? https://www.ebay.com/p/1-195-70r14-Advantage-T-a-BFGoodrich-90-T-R70-R14/1417838836?iid=283248972325&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=283248972325&targetid=596465943508&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=1013763&poi=&campaignid=6470636544&mkgroupid=83197474208&rlsatarget=aud-622524041278:pla-596465943508&abcId=1140476&merchantid=131376082&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2efrBRD3ARIsAEnt0egc9vY_EMWB_1s8YFPTFP1bqZvJkjAF4Trczn_P_jhzIHGPUtPQaaoaApkREALw_wcB

Don't you have a local tire store you can visit?  Schwab, Sears, etc.  When you add in balancing, new valve stems, mounting and the cost of tire disposal, you'll probably pay less overall at a tire store, unless you're going to mount those eBay tires yourself.  Plus they'll probably have a guarantee and free rotation.

It is hard to find any good 14" tires today - - however a Goodrich Radial T/A in 195/70R14 would be fine with me.  HOWEVER -

a) There seems to be ONLY 1 for sale... and you might never find 3 more to match

b) with any tires on line - you need to ask/verify that the Date Of Manufacture on that tire is current (within the past 12months).  You don't want to pay retail for tire that has been sitting in a warehouse for the past 5 years. 

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck
  • Like 1

I'd go with some Vredestein Sprint Classics or Michelin XAS vintage radials as you can get them in the original OEM tire size (175/HR14). Coker tire has both.

Will be putting them on the original steel wheels on my 71 Z soon

Edited by DougN

• 4 months later...

I goofed around for ever on the brakes.  I took it in to have somebody work on the brakes and get it going for me. 

I’m thinking about replacing the automatic transmission with a manual, any recommendations?