IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

39 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Forgot.... So about that gear motor from the electric hoist.

I'm looking at a project where I want a cheap rotating welding positioner that I will probably only ever use once. How fast does that gear motor spin?

It is internally geared to 60 rpm but it was too fast so the large gear brings it down to 10-ish rpm.  

So about my bender...

That press brake is only maybe eight inches or so long, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I saw the idea on the web and made up the details as I went along. Of course, as with most project, the details are where the magic is.

One longer spring I cut into two halves. Two bolts (5/8-11 I think) with the heads cut off for the guide pins. Nyloc nuts (not in pic) to adjust and hold position for different stock thicknesses. I made the bottom die shorter than the top on purpose so it functions like a finger brake with some of the fingers removed. That way I can hang the unbent portion out of the dies and keep a section straight. Here's a pic of most of the parts before final assy:
P1110185.JPG

I cut the bolt heads off on the lathe and turned a counterbore shoulder. That way I can press the bolts into the base and the shoulder will make sure they are perpendicular (normal). The shoulder is a little shorter than the base thickness so the bottom is recessed. That way I can tack weld the bolts into place from underneath and the base will still sit flat:
P1110186.JPG

I made the dies on my metal shaper. Here's an action shot cutting the first side of the upper die:
P1110136.JPG

And here's the two finished. They really should be hardened for longer life, but I'm kinda hoping that with the few bends I make, it'll last long enough without heat treat:
P1110137.JPG

So far it's been a great little tool and has enabled me to make such beauties as this:
P1110395.JPG

P1110398.JPG

And this:
P1140240.JPG

• Like 2

Smithy lathe???   Pshaw!  It's a South Bend.    :beer:   Haha!! How's that for lathe elitist?

The Monarch guys would all be rolling their eyes... South Bend??? Pshaw! It's a Monarch.  LOL!

I'd be honored for you to copy all or part of that brake. Let me know if there are any questions. I think the whole thing cost me under $30 US, and I think the only thing I couldn't find at a big box store was the tube for the slides. I'd have to dig out my records, but I believe I ordered a foot or so of DOM tubing for those. The welded stuff at the big box stores wasn't a good enough fit so I think I ordered that.