IGNORED

Will it Fit?

sparegolfer

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who helped me on my last post. All the replies are very helpful for sure. So I am rebuilding the front of my 10/70 and I have been doing some research and looking for the best deals on struts. I know that I said I do not plan on getting to crazy with the suspension, but that is always subject to change. So I came across a great deal and if these fit, I guess I should jump on it. I have a guy that is selling some parts to make my car into a coil over car. To me its such a great deal that it would be almost impossible to turn down. By everything that I have read so far, I think they will fit, but I need to check with the experts first, the Datsun Community.  So here is what he's got. My only question is, will they fit on a 10/70 Z? 

Once again, thank y'all for all your help. 

00q0q_1sm2edZPQmu_600x450.jpg00o0o_3tKECmTCIZo_600x450.jpg100707_aPmtVZJERbY_600x450.jpg

Is it a kit that somebody is selling?  Need details.  Can you post the words from craigslist or wherever you found it?

The aluminum parts are used to add adjustable spring perches to your struts for height adjustment.  The shock bodies would typically be shorter, by the amount that you plan to lower the car.  This puts the shock's piston at the middle of its stroke.  You could compare  shock body lengths to stock lengths to see how much lowering they're intended for.  Some people make "slamming" kits to drop the car to the ground.  Shock lengths are on Koni's site I believe.

If you're going to really do it right you'll want to know spring rates.  Too high and the ride will be harsh, maybe bouncy.  Plus, ideally, the spring rates are matched to the shock's damping properties.  I see 275 on one set, which is higher than stock.

If you really want to get in to designing your suspension right you need to consider your tires.  Low profile tires ride harsher.  You can make up for it with the struts.

I guess my other question would be, are the konis and this set up user friendly or are they just made for track use? Does anyone out there run this type of setup on their daily driver or weekend driver? I like a firm ride but I don’t want to get beat up every time I drive it. 

Any suggestions on how to make this setup more user friendly like a different strut or? 

Or maybe I should just stick with the springs and struts and keep it simple. 

275 and 300lb/in springs are going to be really stiff, and those shocks are likely matched to them.

Having seen your other thread, it sounds like this isn't a car you want to cut up too much. Get some basic springs and shocks that you can just install without cutting/welding your strut tubes, so that you can easily go back to stock if you want to.

• Like 2

Ya, it’s a 10/70 build date and I’d hate to do anything crazy with it. My problem is I really like the look of some of the JDM style cars and not really into the whole original look. If I had a later model I’d have no problem making it into a JDM style car, but a series one...even I’d say that’s blasphemy! Lol. 

We need to start a save the Z charity.

Get those other lowering springs and some KYB's and the car will look like you want it to look, ride very well, and be ready for any changes if you decide that it's not good enough.  The ride will get much firmer and less "rolly" just by lowering alone.  You'll be surprised at how well it handles, especially if you drive any of todays plush luxury mobiles.  

You hit the nail on the head! This car that I have could be one of those Barrett Jackson cars because it’s practically rust free and super straight. Right now it’s just a shell, but I have pretty much all the parts to put it back together. Someone could easily restore the car back to whatever style they wanted to. It just takes an abundance of money and know how. I don’t possess either! Lol. I’ve thought about selling it and getting a 72 or 73 and modding that out many times. I am honestly torn on what to do. 

Do you have the numbers matching motor? How complete is it? Maybe it would be good to take a bunch of photos so we can get a good idea of what you have, and the condition of it, and the guys here can offer you some guidance from there. Also, go into more detail on what you want to do with it. Shocks and lowering springs are easy to reverse, so are wheels, or a front air dam. You could easily keep the old parts on a shelf should you ever want to sell it or return it to stock. More permanent modifications, such as weld on coilovers, or fender mirrors, or anything that requires drilling, cutting, or welding is another matter.

• Like 1