IGNORED

Tired of taking advice

SpeedRoo

Pardon the pun but I need some tire advice. My '73 240Z came with Appliance mesh 6" by 14" wheels. Just picked up a set of 7" by 14" mesh wheels (racers seemed to use them back in the day) that came off another 240Z. Looking at wider tires but wanted to keep the same diameter. A 215/65 14 seems right according to Matthew's chart in this thread: 

Has anyone used the Federal SS657 in that size on their car? Impressions or feedback from actual users would be appreciated. They are a H speed rated tire good up to 130mph. https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/federal-tires/215-65-14

016.jpg

Edited by SpeedRoo

205/70- 14's rubbed on my 280Z, on the harder corners.  Apparently the "205" is the width from sidewall to sidewall, not tread width, as I had thought before.  Anyway, 215's might rub.  You'll probably want to compare offsets also.

6 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Pardon the pun but I need some tire advice. My '73 240Z came with Appliance mesh 6" by 14" wheels. Just picked up a set of 7" by 14" mesh wheels (racers seemed to use them back in the day) that came off another 240Z. Looking at wider tires but wanted to keep the same diameter. A 215/65 14 seems right according to Matthew's chart in this thread: 

Has anyone used the Federal SS657 in that size on their car? Impressions or feedback from actual users would be appreciated. They are a H speed rated tire good up to 130mph. https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/federal-tires/215-65-14

016.jpg

Looks like a young Dusty Springfield.

The Appliance 'mesh' wheel was inspired by the wheels that the Chaparral team developed (apparently in-house) for their Chaparral 2 sports racer circa 1965.  According to team owner Jim Hall, they had their wheels manufactured by a local alloy casting operation.  The Appliance wheels were pretty popular with Z owners for a while (late 1970's).  They haven't aged as well as the 'slotted mag' design, IMO.