IGNORED

prop shaft U joint 1975

Dave WM

I am sure its been covered but seems like I could not find the exact procedure.

I removed the self locking retaining rings (chisel break them out they came) but I can't seem to press the u joint far enough to get the cap to extend more that about 1/8" at most, not enough to grab and pull the cap off freeing the U joint. I may end up welding on to the cap so I can pull it off. I seems the internal structure of the U joint prevent sufficient clearance to push the cap out any further.

I've had to use heat to get the yoke to expand enough to release the cap.  People bend them often, I've read.  I took my old 240Z shaft apart just to check it and regretted even starting it.  Heat, a strong vise and lots of worrying.

Nissan says that they should drop out with light tapping, after popping the snap ring off with a screw driver.

image.png

30 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I am sure its been covered but seems like I could not find the exact procedure.

I removed the self locking retaining rings (chisel break them out they came) but I can't seem to press the u joint far enough to get the cap to extend more that about 1/8" at most, not enough to grab and pull the cap off freeing the U joint. I may end up welding on to the cap so I can pull it off. I seems the internal structure of the U joint prevent sufficient clearance to push the cap out any further.

Also wondering about "self-locking" retaining rings.  Doesn't 1975 use staked u-joints on the prop shaft?  Non-serviceable.  Are you breaking the rules?

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

oops, forgot this was a junk yard find, don't recall the year. but its not staked, had the press in retainers. Would like to know where those could be found too, just in case the inside C clip types don't work out. the retainer look something like this

retainer.jpg