IGNORED

Rewire with Relays?

Mike

• 7 months later...

Originally posted by Zedrally

Are there any benefits in this?

As originally wired, I'm told that all of the current drawn by the components is routed through the various switches which over time can cause them to fail. Using relays keeps the main current load off of the switches and will prolong the life of them.

I've redone the whole car's wiring - that is dash, lights, winsheild wipers, indicators (still using the 240z switching unit though but that now fires a relay rather than directly to the indicators), squirter bottle, etc. (along with a new sterio, amp, speakers, subs and new engine's loom and ECU)

I'll attempt to answer this with a short version. Amps=copper = money=more space needed for turns and bends =more seperation for gauge connections and larger contacts in those devices. Small amps =small wire=small contacts=less cost =less weight=more compact. Add a computer that loves very small wires and only 5 volts=SMALLER wires etc. Use small cheap/less space/etc wires to trigger relays. Now the amount of expensive/higher amp drawing copper only goes from relay to device(shorter wire, huh?). As for the new last longer? Yeah my old only lasted 30+ years----What else do you have that made that trip??? Guys I'll say it once again--If you think you have out thought Datsun --you better think again. Believe me I'm not againist REAL improvements. Yet I get VERY concerned when someone thinks a single relay is good for headlights or one for high beams and one for low. If there was a new and improved perfect way with drawings and an 800 number some would still get it wrong. Oh well I said short--- BE SAFE!!!

Thinking back, I remember Nissan making a song and dance about computer contol of the complete electrical system in their newer cars.

So I guess thats what this thread is all about, or have I mis-read this?

Has anyone adapted this system into their zed?

Personally, apart from headlights I don't see any reason for relaying anything yes?

Yes! Zedrally, WHY?, Lets take the solid WORLD approved wiring you have and lets cut it once/one cut =two connectors=more resistance. Add a relay=two more contacts.Then the high amp connectors out. Each cut/connection point =more resistance. EVERY place the wire is not SOLID is a future problem even for the best wireman. Those that are less than will most likely add more problems than they will ever reduce.

Has any body actually looked under the hood of any new car as of late?. Everything is controlled by means of relays. Any given new car is almost completely controled be the ECU with relays. Thinner wire=less load traveling around to burn up. Thinner wire=OEMs save money. but the tech of it is that the ECU controls the component through the relay by means of controlling the ground side. The Ecu grounds the curcuit to be turned on by completing the ground for any given relay. Our system has everything hot almost all the time. This is a Nissan thing. They always used powered switches. Even in the 80's. Daniel I don't think any body is trying to out think those 'O so bright little engineers that come out with this crap so cheaply, because some big wig was pushing hard to rock the automotive market. But your also talking about a company who's motors after the second world war were liscensed to them by British Leyland (or how ever it's spelled).:devious:

• 2 weeks later...

No new reply's as to upgrading the electrical system with a few relays here or there. And rewiring the power supply, that would get the high current out of the cab and leave it were it would do the most good in the battery to be tapped into to drive all our little devices through simply relays. Leaving low current loads in the fuse box and interior switches???? No? :devious: