IGNORED

Electronic fan relay

krZing

Hi,I need help on how to wire my electric fan relay. Not sure where to connect sending unit from the relay to the thermostat housing. There’s only 2 holes in the thermostat. Temp gauge and cold start valve Connection in which is not being used. Can I use that for the sending unit? Thanks for the reply

C502206B-D337-4910-99D4-0EF85318E332.jpegC502206B-D337-4910-99D4-0EF85318E332.jpegC502206B-D337-4910-99D4-0EF85318E332.jpeg

5547880E-F48A-48F5-B7F9-F0DA185D2E93.jpeg

I installed my sensor on the block on the drivers side. My thinking was I wanted to turn on fans based on the engine temperature

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

8 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

I installed my sensor on the block on the drivers side. My thinking was I wanted to turn on fans based on the engine temperature

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Unless you install the sensor at a water passage, that temperature will probably exceed 185, so you would be running your fans more than you need to.

Unless you install the sensor at a water passage, that temperature will probably exceed 185, so you would be running your fans more than you need to.

I am okay with that. So far they only seem to run when idling while sitting and shut-off.

14 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

Can I get a picture? On that I was planning to install with an inline 34mm adapter to one of the radiator hoses, currently they just turn on when the key is on. 

But if I place it down on the driver side its going to be getting the "low temperature" vs if I go to the upper thermostat temp, or to the back of the motor where the heater hose goes into the cabin.

Im sure theres a reason 7tooZ, teach me the ways. ?

@krZing so basically  the relay takes a trigger signal (low current) and powers a higher current device.

So you wanna go

Pin - 30 (power)

Pin - 85 GROUND (this goes to the temp probe its a ground at 185*f)

Pin - 86 trigger (from the ignition keys)

Pin - 87 device positive + side on the fan, the fan gets its own ground to chassis. 

So when the heat goes up, the trigger 86 grounds to 85 which allows 30 to send power to 87, which turns the fan on.

Send pics, I wanna see how you did it. 

Can I get a picture? On that I was planning to install with an inline 34mm adapter to one of the radiator hoses, currently they just turn on when the key is on. 
But if I place it down on the driver side its going to be getting the "low temperature" vs if I go to the upper thermostat temp, or to the back of the motor where the heater hose goes into the cabin.
Im sure theres a reason 7tooZ, teach me the ways. [emoji1]

@krZing so basically  the relay takes a trigger signal (low current) and powers a higher current device.
So you wanna go
Pin - 30 (power)
Pin - 85 GROUND (this goes to the temp probe its a ground at 185*f)
Pin - 86 trigger (from the ignition keys)
Pin - 87 device positive + side on the fan, the fan gets its own ground to chassis. 
So when the heat goes up, the trigger 86 grounds to 85 which allows 30 to send power to 87, which turns the fan on.
Send pics, I wanna see how you did it. 

I don’t pretend to be all that informed about engine water temp. There are far more smarter guys here than me. I only throw offer my way as an option.
reading what I could find here I liked the idea of using the temp at the block. My experience with my car is the temp gauge moves up to the center point when idling and then the fans kick on. While driving they do not turn on. However when I stop and turn off the engine they will often turn on after a minute or so and run till the block temp drops. I assume that air blowing over the engine helps cool. IMG_8148.JPGIMG_8145.JPGIMG_8148.JPG
I don’t know if it is the optimal place but it works for me.