IGNORED

No spark, where to start?

Jeff Berk

Fixed it! I had a cap and rotor sitting around and once I installed the new ones, it started right up. The contacts didn't look all that bad on the old pair and the car ran fine up until it stopped working. I'll take it out for a few files once the weather clears up to see if we have a heat related issue. 

Thanks Zed Head and SteveJ for the advice.

Well I am now in a Dunkin donut parking lot and my Z is once again not starting.  As luck would have it though I am across the street from an O’Reilly auto parts. They lent me a multi meter which I  used to test the ignition module again. This time it failed. When I inserted a card to block the light from the LED, I had no voltage drop.  I checked with Summit racing and they have the module there so I might be able to drive down there tonight and get this thing working again. In the meantime I’m having it towed back home again. Thank you Hagerty. 

Edited by Jeff Berk

21 minutes ago, Jeff Berk said:

Actually I’m still waiting on the tow truck here. It’s been 2 1/2 hours. The Dunkin’ Donuts people have felt so sorry for me that they keep feeding me. 

Man, I was going to suggest that after it cools it would probably get you home.  Didn't know you had to wait.

Good luck.

I installed the new unit. The old one tested fine the next day but I figured it cut out on me twice, it will do it again. I noticed that there are manufacturing date on stickers on the new and old units. The old unit was manufactured in December 2013. These things don't last very long do they?

BTW: I gave up on the tow after they contacted me and was unable to give a revised ETA. I ended up with another towing service the following morning that arrived within 30 minutes with a flatbed.

BTW 2: The Dunkin' people sent me home with a dozen donuts ; ) Must be my good looks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1