IGNORED

280z Starting help

FairAbrocoma

Just recently bought a 280z and was trying to get it up and running again but ran into a few problems.

I'm getting no spark to the engine. I have replaced the ignition coil as the previous one did not carry resistance. Also the distributor rotor spins and the connections do not seem to be corroded. But still no spark to the engine. When hooking up a spark plug tester I'm getting no light which I am told means a ignition system issue. My last resort is purchasing an ignition control module but, ya know, it's expensive. Would like your guys' take on this. Any help is appreciated. And btw it cranks and everything. Nothing timing related, she's trying her hardest. 

If your last coil really was a dead short then it might have fried your ignition module.  Have you confirmed that the coil has power?  And tested the pickup coil in the distributor?  And that the coil is connected to the ignition module?

There's a lost more to testing the ignition system than measuring coil resistance.  Did you use a meter or a test light on the coil?  Might be that the coil was fine.

What year 280Z?

23 minutes ago, FairAbrocoma said:

It's a 78. I replaced the coil because I wasnt getting resistance between the two poles. And I used a multimeter for the coil and a test light for the spark plugs. 

Well then you don't have to worry about the ballast resistor.  Turn on the key and measure voltage at the coil.  Either terminal will do.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head