IGNORED

Bumper mounting question

MikeW

Thanks for helpful the info guys, I really appreciate it. At ZZXdatsun.com, that Mike W. discussed, they have two different pieces for the front and the back. The BO-52 (pic on the left) is for the front bumpers and the B0-53 (pic on the right) is for the rear bumpers. They have different pieces for the front and rear bumpers and call them "Reproduction front (or rear) bumper end bracket insulators 1970-1973" and as Mike W. menitoned, they are $10.00each. I love the price on the rubber washers that V8 240Z found, but I'm not sure if there would be enough rubber there to protect the car's finish from the metal mounting plate on the bumper. The ones at ZZXdatsun are square and look like they will cover the entire metal plate. It looks to me that the model BO-52, designed for the front is one solid piece of rubber instead of the stock "envelope" that covers the mounting plate front and back. It's hard to tell if the model BO-53 (rear) is the same way or not.

post-6600-1415079768067_thumb.gif

post-6600-1415079768119_thumb.gif

The washers are called closit tank washers in the plumbing industry and can be found in 2 different diameters with the largest being 1 1/8" in diameter. Find a plumbing supply house that the plumbers buy from and they come in a box of 100 and can be bought one at a time for $.25 each.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Rub-Tank-Bolt-Washr4-p5GDUEJ.aspx

http://www.sealenterprises.com/detail.asp?sku=5350301

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/9198649

bought the BO-52 for the front bumper mounts and they are an envelope type.

looks like a quality repro.

they enclose the bracket and provide protection front and back.

you might have to do a little trimming of the rubber where it surrounds the nut welded to the bracket so it fits over without too much stretching or distortion.

I was thinking about using the rubber or plastic that you dip wrench and plier handles. Dip the end in the plastic and it molds to the shape and will not fall off. Protects the paint and will look close to stock. Given that you do a clean job of installation like always in these things. Yes it will take some time and effort but all these things do. The other local owners keep reminding me this is a hobby and a good job takes a little longer.

From my experience, the reason for the rubber cushion between the bumper and the body is to protect the paint from the vibration between the two metal pieces, as well as scratching as you locate and mount the bumper(s). A simple piece of rubber is all that is needed to perform that duty.

However, if you've ever tried to put a bumper on, then you know how difficult it is to get your fingers up in between the fender (front or rear) and the side mount of the bumper. That, IMO, is why Nissan made these "wrap-around" rubber washer/gaskets. That way you can put them on the tab and not have them fall off as you locate the bumper and, inevitably, touch the fender with the tab.

From a strictly "original look" point of view, the reproduction parts will LOOK correct, and perform as they are needed to perform. Additionally, they will simplify a task that requires you have 4 arms and eyes on the end of stalks to avoid scratching your paint. From a "will-it-work" or "or-equivalent" point of view, the rubber gaskets, washers, etc. that provide a CUSHION between those two metal pieces will work. Granted, you'll have to be extremely careful in mounting the bumper, and be able to get your fingers way up in there to put between the two pieces.

FWIW

E

Dave,

With 2 cars, I hate to spend $80.00 for 8 small pieces of rubber, so I am very interested in looking at your solution. Did you mount a rubber washer on either side of the bumper mounting plate or just one on the side that touches the body of the car?

Steve, to be honest I never thought about using a fender washer and rubber washer on the inside. I only have rubber washers between the bumper and fender. After following this thread I am going to do the fender washers and rubber washers in the inside this afternoon. The metal is so thin it even pulled the bolt into the car and left a depression. I must have been having one of those days when I put the bumpers on.

I put the fender washer on the inside to prevent the bolt from leaving a "dent" in the sheet metal. Another tip before you put the bumpers back on is to put some masking tape all around the area, just in case the bumper slips it won't chip your paint.