IGNORED

280Z High Beam Switch Repair

TomoHawk

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Anyway, I found some new news while I was looking for old pictures of what people have done with the dimmer.  Dave Irwin has moved to Montana and doesn't rebuild switches any more.

And that is a tragic turn of events!!!

8 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Not sure what Nissan calls it but most of us call that the "dimmer switch".  The power supply switch is the combination switch. 

Nissan also names a driveshaft, what most people call half-shafts, and the driveshaft is called a "propshaft."

The dimmer switch is sometimes called a combination switch because it's a combination dimmer and turn signal switch.  Maybe if you refer to each part  (i.e., turn signal or dimmer switch) of it instead of giving it a more general name is better.

Meanwhile, the turn signal switch had broken;  the brass piece of metal in the switch which moves to make the contact had worn so much that it was broken.

I don't suppose anyone has a spare?  Other than that, I think the dimmer switch probably needs to be cleaned.

If I had a bit of brass sheet (about 2.5mm thick) I think I could make the part.  It looks like a U.  The turn signals weren't engaging too well, I think because the spring in the switch which presses the brass part against the contacts, was weak.

Do you know what's inside the dimmer switch?  It'll help to know if you take the cover off.  I could dowse that as well. DeOxit 5% has the cleaning/deoxidizng chemical, plus a kind of lubricant.

A used one goes for $100 on eBay, and ZCarSource "rebuilds" them for $200...

Edited by TomoHawk