IGNORED

ZG only went for $53K

28 minutes ago, kats said:

32ACE8DF-882A-422A-A3F6-A60C75E8F746.jpeg

Kats, I've always believed that shot of the underside of the bonnet extension in the factory service manual (G1-21 above) shows either an early, early production or almost pre-production panel. The horizontal strengtheners on the underside are not anything that I've seen on any of the (many!) genuine ZGs that I've had a good look at over the years, and are certainly different than the four vertical stiffening ribs that I believe were used for series production.

In which case is it another example of the factory documentation needing to be treated with caution? What do you think?

Kats,

I think you said that the intake manifold on the Bonhams car was for an automatic?  What about it would make it for an automatic?

Other comments about this car come from Ben's observation about when it was put on the block.  That could have been a significant factor in the final price.  Hey Ben!  We can count on you to feel up a ZG!

The paint quality was obviously bad - in the worst of obviously spots!  Same for the fit of the front fenders.  I almost want to think it was crashed.

Finally, a shout-out to Zed Head.  You could learn a lot from this site!

BonhamsHS30-H_10011_Engine1.jpg

Alan , I too think  that horizontal ribs are must be prototype, very unique.

Other things which should be treated with caution are , they are I have been telling too , the difference in light cover trim ring .

The one in the picture has trimmed bottom  of the ring to be flattened for the bumper .

And the screw positioning is different from the ordinary production cars .

Kats

85471934-F031-4FD4-939E-DA4CAC8D5C7F.jpeg

C0C27A6C-29B4-49CC-A0BE-0E34CE97783D.jpeg

CEDA90A1-C612-4A87-B695-138BEECA8363.jpeg

B2364157-43F3-46D2-A668-8D800BB7D532.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Chris!

I said because the balance tube has a chopped rubber pipe , which  can be seen for the automatic transmission, automatic transmission needs a vacuum pipe for its operation. The first picture is my November 1971 car .

Kats

2996FFDC-249C-4814-9A0F-A354874251FB.jpeg

1AD1C5AA-F917-47D3-ADCD-E2B1E3517F27.jpeg

Edited by kats

37 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

The paint quality was obviously bad - in the worst of obviously spots!  Same for the fit of the front fenders.  I almost want to think it was crashed.

I think the weight of evidence - suspected replacement of radiator core support panel, non-factory finish on undersides of bonnet extension and headlamp cowls, bad fit of headlamp cowls, rippled fenders/wing tops etc - points towards a front-ender at some point in the past. Not surprising in the grand scheme of things, and - of course - rectifiable. The new owner will hopefully put some effort into that.

I don't want us to break a butterfly on a wheel here, as the car has a new owner and hopefully it will see some sympathetic rectification. What disappoints is the sales hype and presentation of the car by Bonhams, and some sections of the press, as an excellent example of type. I'm disappointed at the previous owners too. They could have done better by this car.   

• Like 2

One thing about an automatic transmission,

after September 1972 ( after HS30-100001) the lower nose began to have air guides for an automatic transmission ZG .

This made me think the Bonhams ZG would be an automatic transmission car , but the story would be different, the lower nose which has air guides would be a later replacement. Many of my ZG friends said when you buying the lower nose from Nissan back in 90s , it always came with a air guides . 

Note the car in a show room is an early example, with an automatic transmission badge on the left corner of the tail gate . 

Kats

D8D85BDD-EADB-4478-ADBF-0AC0B5B1D660.jpeg

241ABC70-6712-421B-8339-69BA0CA58609.jpeg

CCF24364-FABD-4480-8418-2D11EFA96BA7.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 2