IGNORED

New 280z "Hawk" - wish me luck.

smackhq

10 hours ago, smackhq said:

a little history that I heard was that this car was given to a Seattle Seahawks player when they signed.

Haha! Well if you can prove provenance to a Seahawks player, then fine. You could keep it.

But if not.... I mean, it's your car and all, but it makes my eyes clamp shut by reflex. I can't help it.    LOL 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Haha! Well if you can prove provenance to a Seahawks player, then fine. You could keep it.

But if not.... I mean, it's your car and all, but it makes my eyes clamp shut by reflex. I can't help it.    LOL 

lol ya I have no desire to keep it but for now the "ZHawk" decal stays until I can get engine running. Just think of another incentive to get engine done. ?

I think it was just a local Datsun dealer marketing ploy and not given to any players. Doesn't really matter. Its gone someday. At least its a "hawk" though and not "Z-Patriots". That would bump it up on my priority list to remove. 

10 hours ago, smackhq said:

Just think of another incentive to get engine done.

LOL. And I'm just kidding of course. It's only paint. You surely got bigger fish to fry, and will for quite some time.

Now if it was Z-Patriots or Z-Cowgirls, then I might have to call in a spray can favor at your end of the country.   :beer: 

9 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

LOL. And I'm just kidding of course. It's only paint. You surely got bigger fish to fry, and will for quite some time.

Now if it was Z-Patriots or Z-Cowgirls, then I might have to call in a spray can favor at your end of the country.   :beer: 

hahaha I hear ya! I'd adjust priorities immediately if that were case. 

And I've never told you my opinion on the whole build and stuff.... If it were me, I would want to get it running and on the road. And with that in mind, I would probably seriously consider putting a stock 280Z motor back in and shelve the whole turbo thing for the time being.

You're going to have 10,000 problems and issues and things that you're going to have to spend time on. And a number of them you won't even know about until you get a bunch of miles under your belt. You haven't talked about your background, but I suspect you are tech savvy. But even with that, the documentation won't line up. The wiring diagrams won't line up. You'll be going to different manuals for different parts of specs.

Your wife will hate it a whole lot less if it's running and you have in good enough condition for you to drive to work. Then after that, I would start thinking about serious upgrades and changing things.

Maybe it's just me, but someone else's half finished technical project isn't a good starting point on something like this. There's probably some kid on craigslist close to you who wants two hundred bucks for the just yanked perfectly good running L28 he just pulled because he's going to drop in an RB28 or something. He'll never finish his project, but you could pickup his takeout motor for cheap and get some miles behind you.

IMHO.     LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

And I've never told you my opinion on the whole build and stuff.... If it were me, I would want to get it running and on the road. And with that in mind, I would probably seriously consider putting a stock 280Z motor back in and shelve the whole turbo thing for the time being.

You're going to have 10,000 problems and issues and things that you're going to have to spend time on. And a number of them you won't even know about until you get a bunch of miles under your belt. You haven't talked about your background, but I suspect you are tech savvy. But even with that, the documentation won't line up. The wiring diagrams won't line up. You'll be going to different manuals for different parts of specs.

Your wife will hate it a whole lot less if it's running and you have in good enough condition for you to drive to work. Then after that, I would start thinking about serious upgrades and changing things.

Maybe it's just me, but someone else's half finished technical project isn't a good starting point on something like this. There's probably some kid on craigslist close to you who wants two hundred bucks for the just yanked perfectly good running L28 he just pulled because he's going to drop in an RB28 or something. He'll never finish his project, but you could pickup his takeout motor for cheap and get some miles behind you.

IMHO.     LOL

I might have to agree with the captain. You bought someone else’s nightmare and it will be hard to start with that. Then top it off with the turbo motor and programmable ECU :-0

And this is just the engine - there’s a whole bunch more to deal with . You probably didn’t get hurt at that price, but you’ll spend 10 times that getting it to drive - conservatively speaking 

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

IMHO.     LOL

hahaha I like how you think brother man so thank you for the comments and suggestion. The engine swap was of course not my choice and came that way but it doesnt mean I cant swap it back out for stock motor. At this point I'm going to give it a shot on this l28et motor, Megasquirt ecu, complete rewire and such. Yes I do know how big of hill stands in front of me. ? I'm not a mechanic by trade but have wrenched on motors and mainly motorcycles for long time. This is the biggest car project I've taken on though. I'll make some mistakes, learn and move ahead. Maybe I'll make it, maybe not but I'm going to try and learn something along the way. 

The way I see it is that I'm kind of at the bottom now. It's not getting rustier (in garage now drying out), engine not getting worse, wife cant hate it more, etc. All I have is up! ? (quit laughing.....haha). 

To your point though, I'd look at a parts engine so I'll setup a CL search for Zs parts and see if I can find that project that someone else gave up on! ?

Anyways, I appreciate and email and thoughts. Thank you

Rob

19 minutes ago, madkaw said:

I might have to agree with the captain. You bought someone else’s nightmare and it will be hard to start with that. Then top it off with the turbo motor and programmable ECU :-0

And this is just the engine - there’s a whole bunch more to deal with . You probably didn’t get hurt at that price, but you’ll spend 10 times that getting it to drive - conservatively speaking 

I hear ya and tend to agree. I'll search but still work on this. If I hit a wall quick I'll change course before I drop $20k on a lost cause! 

Not sure how many "rookie" card questions I can play??

IF...IF I considered finding a L28E engine, would that mate up to the transmission from l28et or better to get with engine? 

How to identify which transmission I have currently?

57 minutes ago, smackhq said:

That's Oliver, a member of the club.  He runs zspecialties.  He has a lot of parts and some are of good price but he really values others.  

http://www.zspecialties.com/