IGNORED

Series 1 emblems

87mj

I am trying to find the origin of the emblem to the right.  At first glance, it looks like a series 1 b pillar emblem but notice the "Z" is chrome.  I believe It always was and it lacks a raised border.

A couple of years ago, I bought an old car along with a bunch of old parts.  The emblem was in a box with the parts. The emblem on the left came from my vin 5xxx car.  Does anyone know the origin of the one to the right?  They are both the exact same size (even though they don't appear to be in the photos).  The casting on the back of both are identical.  They are both made of pot metal. The one on the right was mounted on a car at one time. The clips are still on the posts and it has minor pitting.

I read somewhere where there are 2 versions of this emblem so I assume this was it.  But I was curious when they used them.  This was the first one I have seen.

Anyone have any ideas?

emblem.jpg

Pretty sure the right emblem with the solid "Z" is from an fairly early car.

Not sure of the change date.

The emblem on the left came later---in line with your 5xxx production car

The very earliest "B" pillar emblems were cast with solid backsides and a solid Z.

@Mike B would be able to answer with authority, as he has examples of both if not all variants

Wow.  It must have been the installed on the earliest of the early cars.  I have been watching for cars with the chrome Z emblem on  BAT.  There is a car on BAT (I think someone here owns it now)  built in 11/69 which still has the white Z emblems on it.  I have an emblem on one of the first cars made.  If I only had the rest of the car....

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

Wow.  It must have been the installed on the earliest of the early cars.  I have been watching for cars with the chrome Z emblem on  BAT.  There is a car on BAT (I think someone here owns it now)  built in 11/69 which still has the white Z emblems on it.  I have an emblem on one of the first cars made.  If I only had the rest of the car....

What does the back side of the emblem on the right look like?  It is solid or hollow?  I'm reattaching the photos from posts #33 and #52 in the thread I linked to to show what the solid cast backs look like.  The solid ones are the earliest used on the HLS30s.  The second version of the emblem still had the chrome Z, but it was hollow cast in the back.  Any HLS30 produced in 1969 would have come with the chrome Z emblems, and most likely the solid cast version.  No one knows exactly how many of each version were made, but I would say at least 500 sets of the solid back emblems and probably another 1000 or more sets of the later hollow back emblems.  Also keep in mind that the JDM market cars (S30s) had a different quarter panel emblem and more of them were produced in 1969 than the export HLS30s, so to say you have an emblem from one of the first cars made is relative.

post-9102-14150804012857.jpg

post-3193-14150804071866.jpg

post-3193-14150804071272.jpg

• Like 3