IGNORED

interior plastic body plugs, 71 Z, source

E. Huber

The plugs are conveniently available (in various colors) from any of the leading suppliers of Z replacement/accessory parts.  Try any of these:

• Motorsport Auto (Los Angeles)
  • Z Car Source of Arizona
  • Z Car Depot (St. Louis)
  • Banzai Motorsport (Virginia)

BTW, the plugs don't have to be broken to remove them.  Just push the center pin all the way through (can't be extracted - sorry), then use a forked trim-removal tool to lever out the plug.  The center pins typically fall down into deep recesses in the body cavities.  If you rig up a length of 1" rubber hose on the end of your shopvac hose, you can probably recover most of them.  A plug without the center pin is useless.

Brand-new plugs and pins are easier, of course.  Depends on how frugal you are.

Be careful not to flex the plastic panels too much when your re-and-re-ing them (especially the one that covers the antenna location).  They're a lot more expensive to replace than the plugs.  Note, too, that the panels don't react well to overzealous use of heat gun to make them flex better.  A blow drier is a better bet.

Or, replace the lost plastic center pins with cotter pins which makes it easier to remove next time by just pulling on the head of the pin.  Not car show correct, but a cheap and easy fix if more concerned about function than factory original appearance..

Dennis

You can reuse the old ones if you can find all the pins. I think a 4 penny nail is what I pushed mine through with. One guy, can't remember who, said put panty hose over a vacuum nozzle and it'll catch them. 

I had to replace my 280s antenna a few years ago and was a scary pain in the but removing that panel. Bending it to get it out was nerve racking thinking it was about snap.  Good luck. I hope your's is easier. 

I put one of those 2 foot rubber ones on mine. It has a wing nut that loosens so it lays horizontal for the car cover and we have crap radio stations here. Bluetooth, paired with my phone's I Heart Radio is all I use. 

There's a lot of info on using weed eater cord to fix the mast going up and down if the motor still works. 130" cord is what I remember.