IGNORED

New owner from the Houston Area

BDJeff

Greetings gang, I'm the proud owner of a new-to-you 1971 Z I won on BaT. Looks to be an early Series II.  Been wanting a Z for more than 20 years and so I finally went for it.  I've also got a restored 1969 SRL311 so I'm no stranger to cool Japanese cars.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-38/

This is a bone stock car, the only exception is the air pump and piping have been removed.  I flew to Minneapolis and drove it home!  No issues until I got to Dallas where it started losing power.  I originally thought it was an air leak in the fuel line but turns out it was just a clogged fuel filter.  Made it home safely otherwise.  Also just discovered the battery date was 06/06!!  Amazing I made it home.  Just proves once again how these old Japanese cars are the most reliable vehicles out there.   I think I'm getting a grip on where to get parts, however, where can I get the threaded wheel center cones (check out the pictures)?  The hole is 3" which doesn't seem to match anything.

Thanks for this great community

Congrats on your purchase and the drive home!   Very nice 240 you got at a great price.

If its the center caps you are looking for,  those shelby alloy wheels were a very common dealer sold item,  I have never owned a set but a number of members here have them and should be able to point you in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

The wheels that came on my early 71 were made by US Mags. 3" hole, screw spacing is 3 5/8". Your wheels look the same as mine. US Mags is still around. You might try them for replacement centers. Good luck.

Excellent!  That looks to be exactly right.  Thanks for the info, looks like they sell thru dealers so I'll be able to go by and point at what I need. 

@BDJeff Be sure to check the lug nuts that came with those wheels. The original lug nuts have a long straight shoulder (no taper except at the tip) that makes them a PITA to remove and replace. (use anti-seize thread lube) Frequently, the originals were replaced with lug nuts that were not designed for those wheels.

@BDJeffDon't limit your search to US mags. I suspect that many wheel companies back then US, American Racing, Fenton, Ansen sprint, Appliance, Cal Chrome, Cragar, ET, etc used a universal plastic cap. Searching while i'm writing. Possible SCORE. akhwheels.com in Ellensburg Wa. has 8 of the US Mag 4 screw centers. Be sure to verify the dimensions. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, it is a nice car, real original.  But it definitely needs some mechanical work.  I need to replace all the bushings/rubber parts in the front and rear suspension.  It sort of "hops" around in lane at freeway speeds so tracking is a bit of an issue.  I dumped the points and installed a Petronix system (have one on my SLR311) what an improvement!!

Any suggestions on who to get the bushings and lower ball joints from?