IGNORED

Monte Carlo Historic rally

Z-point

Hmmm, that's a difficult one and an easy one at the same time.

It seems these kinds of terms mean different things to different people, but amongst the group of like-minded people that I hang out with we would define "Semi Works" as a car that was close to Factory spec. in many respects, and would have had to have a good few proper Works parts on it to qualify as such.

A real "Works" or "Ex-Works" car would have to have been built by the Factory or the Factory's appointed constructor, with a specially-selected / fabricated bodyshell ( part no.1 ). A semi-Works car would have to be in some way endorsed by the Factory, or at least have a hell of a lot of the 'right' stuff on it...........

I think its easy to pin down the meaning of "Works", and a lot less easy to define the "Semi-Works" term.

I also think its a historical fact, and is not possible to change or make something what it originally was not. So if you took a Factory "Works" Rally car and turned it into a coffee table, it would still be a Works Rally car ( if you know what I mean! ). With a semi-Works car, you certainly could not turn it into a full Works car, although you COULD turn it into a coffee table. Where am I going with this????!!!!..........

I think the cars in the photos that Guus posted are ( like his own car ) replicas of Works cars. That is, the intention is for them to look and perform in a similar way to the genuine Works cars - without actually pretending that they indeed ARE the real thing.

Guus, in Kevin Bristow's case I think you are getting mixed up between the TWO cars that he owns. "OMT" - the yellow car that he has rallied for many years with great success, was originally put together ( based on a standard UK-market road car ) by the staff at Old Woking Service Station - which was the Datsun garage where the Works rally team made their base when they were in the UK. It carries a number of proper "Works" parts that were pirated / salvaged / bought from the Works rally operation and fitted to the car. Kevin has sometimes called "OMT" a 'Semi-Works' car, but this is probably stretching the truth a little.

On the other hand, his genuine ex-Works rally 240Z ( the 1971 RAC Rally car driven by Edgar Herrmann which he has been restoring for many years and has not yet driven) is without any argument THE REAL THING - that is, a full Works-built ( at Oppama ) and dedicated Factory rally car, with just about 95% of its original fittings and parts left intact. This is a very special car indeed, and could be used to define the term "Works" car.

But as I say, these terms seem to mean different things to different people.........

Alan T.

Hi all,

I deliberatly posted that question as I have a vested interest in part of the outcome.

I probably should throw in another definition that we can throw back and forth in the ether.

Works Replica.

My reason for raising the notion is that with the lack a "works rally" cars in Australia [not just Nissan or zed related], the Historic Rally Association is floating the idea of creating a category which is recognised as a Historic Works Replica.

Contary to belief there are a handful of 240's rallied spec'd and complete with log booked Rally History, looking very much like some of the works cars to boot! These we call privateers. They occaisionally make an appearance and are categorised as PRC Vehicles, losing any Historic appeal that they have.

To overcome this the HRA is seeking ideas how a works replica category can "slot" into it's categories. Not just the datto's but all pre80 Rally Cars that had a rally history.

As you can imagine, it's pretty expensive to go out and buy any "works" car, so as an alternative it's been suggested that a replica category be established for those vehicles that may fit in.

But now the complication, how do you define replica?

Obviously works shell is out, but what do others see a replica as?

Historically, we can't make a works car, nor a semi works [still not sure of that definition]so what's left!!!!!

Z-point...I know that they aren't all your car...you can tell cause they all have differences....what I meant was, you must have been cold whilst taking the pics...or didn't you take them?

And alan...I think you think way to much about how a Z relates to coffee tables (I'm not wuite sure where that was going anyway!)...your really craving a biscuit aren't you...be honest!:bunny:

Cheers ppl!

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Just got the word in. Here is the starting grid of the 7e Historic Monte Carlo Rally. :love:

As you can see the starting places are different

45 FALL Tony GB KEMPLEY Michael GB 1972 IV 4 REIMS DATSUN 240 Z

90 DIAS Pedro P VILARINHO Joao P 1971 III 4 PORTUGAL HISTORIC RALLY BARCELONE DATSUN 240 Z

264 JACONELLI Henri-Emile F DELALANDE Thierry F 1973 IV 4 DRIVE CLASSIC MONTE-CARLO DATSUN 240 Z

266 LAMARRE Stephan F LAROCHE Alexandre F 1973 IV 4 DRIVE CLASSIC MONTE-CARLO DATSUN 240 Z

268 AYMERIC Georges F AYMERIC Julien F 1973 IV 4 MONTE-CARLO DATSUN 240 Z

307 BLANCHARD Patrick F BOCQUET Jean-Pierre F 1973 IV 4 DRIVE CLASSIC TURIN DATSUN 240 Z

As always you can view the total outcome at www.z-point.nl/00.htm

Or you may check this http://www.acm.mc/acm/index.html

We cross our fingers

Two of those cars belong to our French Zen Club.

The cars are just plain 240Z, as for the front valance, it's the standard (and only) one, as we had on all French Z. Those stupid laws about the heights of the lights...

If you want more info, just ask.

Fred

• 1 year later...