IGNORED

3/72 Datsun 240 Z

niushork

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I thought the P90 was an N42 with better quench?

I think that the P90 is like the P79 but with square, unlined exhaust ports.  Bigger combustion chambers than the N42 or N47.  So you're right, it is like the N42, with the square unlined exhaust ports.  The P90 is designed for the turbo engine I think, I don't know if the combustion chamber shape is the same as the P79 or not.  The turbo engines used dish pistons so there is no quench to speak of.

The liners tend to fall out under the heat of a turbo, people have found that put turbos on their N47 or P79 head engines.  Nissan probably learned that early and changed the P79 casting molds to square ports, and called it a P90.

Nothing wrong with going back to original, or period-correct.  Especially if you're going to the car shows.  If I had a good-running 240Z with an L24 I'd just leave it and drive it.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year guys, all the best to you and your loved ones for 2018!

Thanks to all for the comments, great information and truly appreciated.

I will be getting into working on the L24 engine, carbs and transmission in order to make sure that when they go into the car are running as expected.

Any tips or previous posts that can help me with that?

Many thanks again.

Regards

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 11:15 AM, niushork said:

I'm putting a new clutch and will make sure that the clutch collar is the correct one. Found this pic online, what do you think?

4tobear_specs1a.jpg

niushork.....I just started following your thread.....this measurement is critical......92 mm (3 5/8 inches) and you are good to go.

278C8F59-4D0A-4B9D-A517-1ECD8E907AC1.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd

Thanks to all that have shown interest and also in many ways helped with this project which started really bad when I bought a car that looked one way and was clearly something else as I have explained before.

Here some pics of the work done over the last 6 months and the final pictures 2 weeks ago.

Hope you enjoy it

240_prepaint.jpeg

Engine work

Due to the issue with the engine that the car came with (a 280) we did an engine swap with a proper 240z engine with all correct parts.

The 240 engine was machined, new pistons and the whole lot. 

The only departure was the installation of an all alum Mishimoto radiator that fits right in.

engine_bay.jpeg

engine_decote.jpeg

engine_leva.jpeg

engine_radiator.jpeg

engine_wo_radiation.jpeg

engine4.jpeg

enginecarb.jpeg

engineside.jpeg

engineside2.jpeg

enginesincarb.jpeg

I'm very proud of how this turned out.

The car has some minor details here and there (two cracks on the dashboard due to sun exposure that really irritate me) but it is as close as to have a real 240z coming out of a very well done refreshment, I can say that I know that this car has nothing but very good years ahead of it.

All questions and/or comments are welcomed.