IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

Take the head to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed. If it’s a deteriated water jacket, maybe it can be welded, otherwise it has to be a crack in the block. Either way, it ain’t going to buy you time unless it’s repaired. Losing a gallon of water ain’t a small problem.........it’s a terminal problem. Still can’t imagine how you lose that much water without a trace!  I’ll stay tuned.

10 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Take the head to a machine shop and have it magnafluxed. If it’s a deteriated water jacket, maybe it can be welded, otherwise it has to be a crack in the block. Either way, it ain’t going to buy you time unless it’s repaired. Losing a gallon of water ain’t a small problem.........it’s a terminal problem. Still can’t imagine how you lose that much water without a trace!  I’ll stay tuned.

I agree. That is the plan of action. I am waiting for a coolant pressure tester before we pull the head.

By the way I sent Brandon a PM. Haven't heard back yet...

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the head last weekend

20180527_133022.jpg20180527_133020.jpg20180527_133018.jpg

I think that might be our water leak #1. I checked it with a machinist rule and it's out of spec. Took it to the machine shop and he said it looks like someone had been belt sanding on it. So hopefully we will get it back the end of next week. Broke one of the bolts as the thermostat too

20180601_164659.jpg

Painted another one of his doors too

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, NVZEE said:

Closer all the time to having that engine out, piece by piece ...

That's bad!

That's the wrong direction at the moment. I don't want to tackle that right now. I want to get it running before he loses motivation...

I am having trouble finding the info for setting the camshaft timing.

• 1 month later...

Well we got Cody's car running a few weekends ago. We got the timing cover off and redid all those seals and reset the plunger. It has fixed the water consumption issue.

We also found he was losing the rear brake circuit due to leaks. So we rebuilt all of the rear brakes. New shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware. I had Cody do most of it. He did good with it! We also put some new tires on it to prevent scrubbing in the wheel wells. It's a lot better but the right side that got hit still scrubs a little bit. He is happy to have his car back.

20180624_174939.jpg20180630_133340.jpg20180701_134123.jpg20180721_150822.jpg20180721_150829.jpg20180721_150836.jpg

A while back I worked on the grill and headlight buckets. I had Cody buff all of them. You have to buff them on a lower speed if possible. They are easily damaged if the wheel takes them away from you. Then I taped them all up so I could spray the black. I used the Eastwood satin black 2K. It looks good. We'll see how it holds up. It had mixed reviews, but so far I have gotten good results with it.

I should have taken some pictures of them all taped up. I always get going and forget to do it.

Here are some finished pictures:

20180724_181013.jpg20180724_181017.jpg

I bought some 1/4" pin striping tape which helped a lot on taping off the fine lines

20180724_181108.jpg20180724_181112.jpg20180724_181121.jpg

This last one peeled a little when the tape was removed. I think it did that because we didn't get all the buffing compound off before spraying them.

Next on the list are some suspension repairs. the front struts seem shot, sway bar links are shot and the sway bar bushings will get redone too

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grannyknot said:

In the first pic, is that an oiler just above crankshaft sprocket?

The little stud with the hole in the end? I don't know, I didn't notice it while doing the chain, but I noticed it in the picture and wondered what it is