IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well this may all be for naught... I got a head start based on the pics from that Dime Quarterly thread I started looking for info on the IC chip - AN603.

Based on the logo, it looks like a Matsushita (now part of Panasonic) part, but I couldn't dig up any info about it at all. So if I can't find anything about what's going on inside that chip, I might not be able to do much with it. I mean, I can certainly do a macro level reverse engineering and infer what's going on inside that chip, but that may be about it.

And if it looks like there's something wrong inside the chip, I certainly won't be able to get a replacement except from another old donor part.

I wonder if they used that same chip in the current sense Z tachs... Those are at least easier to find at this point.

Anyway, regardless, I'll do what I can.

Apparently DQ also has an article on grafting in the tach from an S110 200SX. There are several NOS tachs on ebay now. It's not cheap, but it would probably be a fix Cody could enjoy for a long time.

9 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well this may all be for naught... I got a head start based on the pics from that Dime Quarterly thread I started looking for info on the IC chip - AN603.

Based on the logo, it looks like a Matsushita (now part of Panasonic) part, but I couldn't dig up any info about it at all. So if I can't find anything about what's going on inside that chip, I might not be able to do much with it. I mean, I can certainly do a macro level reverse engineering and infer what's going on inside that chip, but that may be about it.

And if it looks like there's something wrong inside the chip, I certainly won't be able to get a replacement except from another old donor part.

I wonder if they used that same chip in the current sense Z tachs... Those are at least easier to find at this point.

Anyway, regardless, I'll do what I can.

This AN603, @Captain Obvioushttps://shop.ectransistors.com/PANASONI-AN603-CDIP-14-.html

11 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Apparently DQ also has an article on grafting in the tach from an S110 200SX.

Yeah, that's the article in which I found the pics I was talking about. This is a 200SX on the left and 510 on the right.
TachRepair Photo1.png

Oh, and youtube says the current sensing Z tachs don't have any IC's at all. Nothing integrated. Just discrete transistors.

22 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Who knows... Maybe? Those sites always seem to have stock of any IC you are ever looking for. But do they really? I don't think I'd ever trust them enough to even try

After a little research, I would concur with your assessment.