IGNORED

Ah come on! Another one? Enough Already. Oh Fine.

zKars

On 11/1/2017 at 8:10 PM, zKars said:

I swore I was done with big restorations for.a couple of years. I was even going to simplify things around here and get rid of one long term project (remember the 73 I have, I mean, had, for sale? Yeah that one). 

Well along the way of selling the Z, one of the potential buyers says to me, "I'm interested in talking to you about buying your Z, but want to mention I have an older Z that I've been sitting on for a few years. Maybe you'd be interested in looking at it?" So I ask a couple of important questions like "What's older mean?" And "whats the VIN".  Took hime a while to go to it, an read the VIN's.  One he says reads 25401 or something and the other says 03798. Ok, now you got my interest.

Ok, I bet you already know where this story is going. Yes I went to see it, yes it followed me home. The VIN is 3798, 5/70 build date. Rusty old dog, few things missing, but hey, it has a cool sun roof! (See other recent thread about SEMA and Sun Roofs and being cool).

What was the other one like? Or wait, was that just meaning the two VIN codes for the same car?

Edited by wheee!

If any of you haven't experienced this electrical issue with Datsun's, let me show you something. 

I need to clean and change some of the wires in the long-tail fuse box in this beast. The two 12 gauge white high current input wires needed new terminals on their ends, and appeared quite corroded where they were crimped onto the bus bar. So I decided to just change the wire. 

IMG_1521.JPG

When I opened up the crimps on the bar, the situation is much worse than it appears on the surface.

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

• Like 1

I had similar concerns over what I saw with those fat white and white-red wires in my 3xxx 70 Z.  Toasted, but not fried.  The challenging part is that the wire is rock-hard for about a half-inch inboard from the the connector and there's really no excess wire to let you just lop off the offending section and crimp on a new connector.  I've decided to just hold my nose and put in relays as 'triage'.  Also, I extracted all of the fuse terminals, c/w wiring, out of my 70 Z's fuse block and re-installed them in a good-condition block salvaged from my old 72.  It can be done.

Great photos, BTW... but not pretty. :unsure:

Without concern for originality, the "right" thing to do is install a new fuse block with modern ATC fuses ALA what MSA sells, or make a new one. Maybe a couple of more circuits so adding a couple of basic things isn't an effort in futility. I'm trying to get this thing reliable and mobile, restoration comes later. Maybe really later.

• Like 1