IGNORED

Certificate of Origin - Help!

Jdizz07

Hi guys,

Ive recently imported a 1976 Nissan Datsun 280Z with California plates from the USA to the United Kingdom. I would like to know how to get a 'certificate or origin' from the USA so I can register it in the UK. Ive contacted Nissan USA but they have been rather unhelpful.

1976 Blue Datsun 280Z

VIN: HLS303114422

California Plate Number: 5WVN339

Can anyone help me with previous experience??

Many thanks, 

JD

file.jpeg

What documents did you get with the car?  Over here, the two common documents to show ownership are the title and the registration document. 

Who is asking for the "certificate of origin"?  You should probably ask them what they mean by that term.  "Origin" could mean where it was shipped from so could even be a shipping company document.  I doubt that origin means Japan.  I'd bet that they need shipping documents, to show that it came from the USA.

The DVLA over in the UK needs to see the certification to ascertain that it is the car stated. I didnt get any paperwork with the car, no log book or anything, just the California plates on the car. The shipping/VAT has been paid my end when it came into the country, I just need the 'certificate of origin ' for them to register it here. 

thanks

Over here we would never pay for a car without the title or a form from the buyer stating that they had lost it.  Edit - or a Bill of Sale.  You should contact the seller for those documents.  I'm not sure how they shipped it without having them.  The shipping company might have copies.  They would need them to show that they weren't shipping stolen goods, I'd think.

I just did a quick search and found this.  I'd contact the seller to get the documents that should have come with the sale.  Edit 2 - re-reading what I posted, it looks like the shipping company carries those documents with the car.  They should have given them to you.  https://www.wcshipping.com/europe

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

A Canadian bought a 240 from me a year or so ago. Paid and everything then called and said he couldn't bring into Canada without a title. I told him there's no titles on that old a car and refunded his payment. Later that day he called and said he could bring it in with a hand written bill of sale and the past two years tag receipts.

If that Z had current California plates, the seller would have also had a title.....unless it was stolen.  Contact the shipping company and ask what happened to the shipping documents.  How was VAT determined without documents?  Someone has them.

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Did you check the glove box or under the sun visors for paperwork the carrier or previous owner may have put there?  If you bought it online or did a bank wire/transfer there should be some sort of electronic transaction you can print out as proof of sale.  Any long distance vehicle purchase should always use Title Escrow for a safe transaction.  If a buyer or seller will not do that then don't even bother no matter how badly you want the car.  Good luck and keep us posted!