IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

Something fun I have been working on! I really want drive by wire on my 240z. But figuring out a location for the actuator has been tough to say the least. I don’t want it hanging over the intake. 

This is a 100% bolt in adapter featuring a BMW 6 cylinder actuator and a 350z pedal. This will attach to stock linkage and drive my ITBs. Hopefully it works! The pivot arcs a far bit, so that might not work and the pedal mount might flex too much? Time will tell. 

This would allow me modern cold starts, any sort of progressive pedal movement I could want. Full idle control, traction control, valet mode, cruise control and way easier tuning. 

We 3D scanned the pedal area and the actuator to mock it all up in CAD! 

All of this is 5axis cut out of 6061.

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2296.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I was very impressed with that same throttle by wire system BMW used on the S54 M engine, I had to reluctantly install it when I couldn't find anyway to delete it from the programming.  I couldn't believe the pedal feel would be as good as mechanical linkage but was pleased to be proved wrong. 

• Like 1

Well it works. But the firewall flexes too much (1-2mm)  

, next I will try to mount to the pedal box which doesn’t flex at all. I also want to keep the arm movement on the same plane. Currently actuator is up and down and bell crank is left to right.

IMG_2659.jpeg