duffymahoney

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

12 hours ago, conedodger said:

When I get closer to install, your thread will be my bible Duffy. I bought this for myself for Christmas to make a little shorter work of stripping the engine compartment.

CB9E1138-16B3-4232-A3CE-7932562C1EFB.jpeg

Those tools like very neat! Someday I might paint this car, but I would rather not.

Thank you for the compliment.  It's been a fun project.  I really like working on the Z.  

Powder coated pan is in. Wow what a pain to do on my back under the car. I need a lift! 

I did just past snug 3x around with a 1/4 ratchet. Hopefully she doesn’t leak. 

D63C1580-7C4F-47F7-89DB-7673CF6ED264.jpeg

56275359-C0A5-481A-8239-2D96861799B3.jpeg

3 hours ago, zztom said:

Did you need to lift engine to install pan  ?

No I didn’t. I have new motor mounts. Maybe that helped? It was tricky. But slid on. 

15 hours ago, zztom said:

Did you need to lift engine to install pan  ?

There is room but the crankshaft has to be in a certain position so no crank throws are sticking down around the rack and pinion area. 

My engine builder/ fellow Z nerd has started porting my Prestine e31. That I also vapor blasted. This will be my head for my stroker build. 

D48B73BE-A305-4B71-AC80-B63F0DA75BFB.jpeg

EDBDB944-CC43-4AF8-BCAD-AD323FBE5A86.jpeg

7E20109E-DD6F-4864-8A16-FE99BDC80A03.jpeg

6 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

More porting updates.

How do you keep from grinding out the valve seats and guides or does it not matter because they will be replaced anyway?

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

How do you keep from grinding out the valve seats and guides or does it not matter because they will be replaced anyway?

I have no clue, I am not doing the work.  I believe he leaves the seats in, then replaces at the end.  

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Looking at it again I can see he has already removed the valve guides so he can get tight in around the guide hole, smart.

I was too cheap since my guides were good.  I imagine he waits to do the valve job after wards . He can get nice and tight on those seats and if the grinder skips or gets scratched the valve cutters will clean it up. I would also think he put the larger seats in and is blending before doing final valve job.