IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

So my 3 best mikuni 44's didn't have the same patina, these had been rebuilt by a legend.  I made the decision to try and take them 95% apart myself, vapor blast and put them back together.  Honestly most of the process made perfect sense.  I am pretty detail oriented, so I just took my time and took lots of pictures.  The throttle shafts and pins are the hardest part.  So far the only thing I think i screwed up is one of the butterfly valves isn't seated 100%.  I am going to take each carb off and double check no light passes by when closed.  I am getting a high idle, which I believe is from that.  

I installed a nismo fuel pump with my 73 bracket, bolted right in.  Hoses were easy to install.  I installed a inertia switch/ rollover switch for the electric fuel pump (factory used a oil pressure switch).  Since I have it attached to the stock spot on the ignition.  Also a 14amp fuse.  Looks factory.  I wanted to use the stock fuel rail, I like the way it looks.  I also re- zinc'd a bunch of smalls for the intake and carbs.  So far I am very happy with how they sound.  Now time to sell my z therapy carbs.  Don't judge the fuel fitting.  The correct one is on order.  

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lordkarma88 said:

Nice and tidy. I wish everyone did work like that! Great job.

Thank you. I am trying to make whatever i do as nice as it can be done. By a hobbyist   .The interia switch was actually the first hole I have drilled in my z. It worried me a little.  I screwed up the the butterfly’s a little on the Mikuni’s. They are now all set pretty perfect. I can see a sliver of light when closed. 

The heat shield I bought doesn’t fit. Weirdly the carbs stay nice and cool. My header is ceramic coated. Maybe that’s enough? Also the header design keeps the pipes pretty far away from the carbs. Thoughts? Anyone? 

Next goals.

Next is taking the starter apart and zinc, vapor blast and paint it. 

Re zinc the horns, they have over spray on them.

Pull oil pan, powder coat and re zinc all the bolts  

This car really is immaculate, I love what has been done having read back through quite a number of pages. The colour combo is also fantastic, and those mikunis looks the business! ?

Out of curiosity how big a difference did ceramic coating your header make? I'm getting a Zstory system in January next year and not sure whether to consider ceramic coating of not after quite a few comments made. 

Edited by Woody928

24 minutes ago, Woody928 said:

This car really is immaculate, I love what has been done having read back through quite a number of pages. The colour combo is also fantastic, and those mikunis looks the business! ?

Out of curiosity how big a difference did ceramic coating your header make? I'm getting a Zstory system in January next year and not sure whether to consider ceramic coating of not after quite a few comments made. 

Thank you. Honestly the paint job (70s respray )is $^!#. But makes me want to drive it more. I doubt I will ever repaint it. 

This company did the coating 

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

13 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Thank you. Honestly the paint job (70s respray )is $^!#. But makes me want to drive it more. I doubt I will ever repaint it. 

This company did the coating 

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

Honestly that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, looks very presentable and also get used! I much prefer cars with character rather than factory fresh paint.... ?

Thanks, I've looked at a couple local to me. Just need to decide if its necessary or not... 

Edited by Woody928

• 2 weeks later...

Oil catch can is done (some ebay smaller aluminum one). Time to drive it! The goal was stock looking as possible, also no holes drilled. This is two pvc hoses spliced together with a 5/8 brass union, the pre- bends worked awesome and looks like I meant it to happen. Catch can has a nice little drain on the bottom.  

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

• 2 weeks later...