Home Built by Jeff

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

1 hour ago, Perfect240Z said:

Thanks Jeff, yep it is but it was hard also on my wife so I couldn’t leave her side. But since I now have two little boys and I have gotten a second Z that I could drive. The project is back on, just slow to getting back into it.24B37062-4EE2-49CD-ADDC-10EDB2A64781.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I wish I had a Z to drive. In fact I have never driven one! Hopefully soon. The prices in Australia seem to be A LOT higher for old Z's than they are over there, so grabbing a couple now sounds like a good idea.

5 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

I wish I had a Z to drive. In fact I have never driven one! Hopefully soon. The prices in Australia seem to be A LOT higher for old Z's than they are over there, so grabbing a couple now sounds like a good idea.

Dear Jeff, driving a z or any other vintage sports car is an acquired taste. while mine has power windows, door locks, AC ect however its no match for any modern form of transport, it rude, its crude, its too low, the suspension is too stiff, there is no power steering, the power is not street friendly (it explodes in at 4500 rpm and does not quit) 

On a positive note....unlike driving any other form of a modern transport you will have a hard time wiping that stupid grin off your face every time you (will) drive it.

2018-05-06 16.33.34.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

Dear Jeff, driving a z or any other vintage sports car is an acquired taste. while mine has power windows, door locks, AC ect however its no match for any modern form of transport, it rude, its crude, its too low, the suspension is too stiff, there is no power steering, the power is not street friendly (it explodes in at 4500 rpm and does not quit) 

I am with on on driving classic cars. I much prefer them. Basically all modern cars drive the same, compared to classics, where every car has it's own little quirks and personality. I have 4 classic cars from the early 70's but the only one that is on the road is my Bug, and although it is super slow, I make excuses to drive it because it is so much more fun than the new stuff.

• Like 3

Takes one to know one...there is a certain "je ne se quoi" of the "early" times of motoring. I bought my first 240z in the late 80's.....and not tired of them yet.

Next time you are in my neck of the wood.....come on down for a test drive. bring the misses along.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

On a positive note....unlike driving any other form of a modern transport you will have a hard time wiping that stupid grin off your face every time you (will) drive it.

2018-05-06 16.33.34.jpg

SEE THIS PROVES IT!............Our cars are GORGEOUS from any angle!😎

• Like 1

Jeff. I've just gotten a z and she is in need of rust repair etc. I've been watching almost all your videos and love it man well done. Inspiring to learn something new in terms of body work and really dig into the car. Yours is coming along nicely and look forward to the finished product

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, Home Built by Jeff said:

This week I continued the body work on my Z and painted the valve cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kI74cGNZVE 

Jeff

Don't worry about doing it several times. Sometimes, more often than not, it takes more than once to get it right, espceially when dealing with a fifty year old car. Anyone who is watching has done the same or will in the future. I personally have learned quite a bit from your build. Our cars are at about the same point BTW. Keep up the nice work and we will all stay tuned.

• Like 2

I wasn't happy with the results of my compression calculations previously, so I have had the head shaved again and it is time to recalculate.

[/url]

Keep up the good work Jeff! With the extra shaving done to the head will you have to run cam tower shims?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

You do not have to shim the head if you are changing the timing chain:

1. You can move the chain a link and use the 3 optional cam positions to align the timing mark on the cam sprocket  where you want it. (The crank sprocket will be at TDC).

2. Once aligned you then adjust the slack side guide to take up all the slack so that the tensioner is pressed all the way in. Some top bolt holes on the slack side guide need a bit of reaming to move clockwise to take up the slack.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

So glad you bumped the CR some. I think that was a good decision!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SurferD said:

wow I'm amazed at your persistence and striving for perfection. Another great video Jeff. 

It still won't be a concours winner, but I will try to make it the best I can.

Your work ethic and persistence to do the right things the right way is inspiring.  I've thoroughly enjoy watching this build from the beginning.  Keep it up!

• Like 1

Great work as usual Jeff! Looking forward to seeing this car done. I wish I could spend the time on mine as well, but spring summer and fall are usually pretty busy for me (military training, summer vacation etc). Winter is my season for production! Luckily (?) for me, we have nine months of winter here....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wheee! said:

Great work as usual Jeff! Looking forward to seeing this car done. I wish I could spend the time on mine as well, but spring summer and fall are usually pretty busy for me (military training, summer vacation etc). Winter is my season for production! Luckily (?) for me, we have nine months of winter here....

Ok, glad you see that as lucky ;) . I am very lucky having the time I do to work on these projects, so hopefully I get to drive it one day (I have never driven an S30).

4 minutes ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

(I have never driven an S30).

Oh boy!  You are in for a treat. Torque, Sound, and Superb road feel.  You will love it,!  After you break it in consider 40mm triple carbs!

• Like 1