IGNORED

Motor help

vannahrose15

40 minutes ago, vannahrose15 said:

I'm going to look into that, it looks like a good idea and then I don't need to change much besides getting a newer transmission maybe a T5
I think it's down to that it an rb25 because it's relatively the same power to start off with and around the same cost with mounts and a wiring harness

The 280ZX T5 is only a few years newer.  You're not going to get your 250+ HP without a turbo on the RB25.  

Here's an RB25 starting point.  They're all used engines from Japan (JDM), so a bit of a crapshoot on quality, you could end up pulling it back out right after you install it..  Then you have to figure out to work on them.  It's a big project.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rb25det-engine

You should be able to easily get 250HP out of a stock L28et head and block.

Skip the 6 speed. I was like yeah an adapter is being made so I can adapt a 350z 6 speed to an L28. Then I looked at the final ratio on and it was .794. The 81-83 5th gear .745.  For my power goals I just can't justify it, one more gear to shift, more weight, more cost, more time, etc.  

Granted, if you shooting up towards 450hp it does have more strength. 

Just my .02!

7 hours ago, vannahrose15 said:

Hey guys I'm looking into options for motor swaps or info on making more power out of my motor. 77 280z n/a

I've heard you can modify the l28 but limitations are the strength of the motor with power

If I went l28et it's stronger and I can get a 5 speed but limitations come in with the computer

I've considered sr20 rb20 and 2jz, I've also looked at ls1 but I'm trying to keep inline 6 if I can.

My ultimate goal is a motor that I can get 250-300 hp and 300-350 torque out of and that I can turbo to get there or without.

Any help is appreciated, what do you guys think is the best power for the money or ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

How much you looking to spend and how much trouble are you willing to go through?  You good with tools?

Edited by ksechler

I'm trying to stay as low as possible. Weighing my options I need to compare all the motors and the power output and everything like that
I can get my motor done to 190 to 250 for about 6300
And with a rb25 I can have everything including turbo done for 8500

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

43 minutes ago, vannahrose15 said:

I'm trying to stay as low as possible

I can get my motor done to 190 to 250 for about 6300

And with a rb25 I can have everything including turbo done for 8500

If you already know these two, what advice are you really looking for?  Sounds like somebody else is going to do the work.

Lowest possible is still going to be small block chevy.  That's why people put them in every brand of car in the world.  Cheap power well-supported by the parts suppliers.