IGNORED

280z 2 kinds of keys - each kind only does one thing

lsoz

I just bought a 1976 280z 2+2 and received 2 kinds of keys from the seller. The first set is a key that has many "teeth" that works only on the ignition. The second set's "teeth" is smooth and less jagged and only works on door locks.

I would prefer only 1 key for everything. Is this common?

Sounds like you have a newer ignition switch.  Mine has the same thing as your's, two keys.  Pretty common I've always heard, mainly from people with a wad of keys on the key chain hanging down on the ignition for all these years.  I remember when I was young key chains and pendants being a little overboard.   

if both keys fit into the locks and ignition, you can have one or the other re-keyed so one key fits both. i would have the door locks re-done since the ignition switch is new. not very expensive either

Edited by sweatybetty

I looked at the keys and it looks like the ones that work in the ignition has a stamped number on it. the ones for the door don't. is it difficult to remove the locks from the door?