IGNORED

New front bearings won't go on the spindle

sdyck

It's my First  time changing bearings. I bought new front bearings from rock auto. Timken brand, the races went in nicely, but then I packed the bearings put them in the hub and tried to slide them on the inner bearing wouldn't go past the last step in the spindle. I pulled it out and just tried to slide the bearing on and it gets jammed. I checked the boxes the bearings came in and they appear to be the right size, Timken set 6 for the inner and set 2 for the outer.

I double checked the old inner  and it does get caught up but will go on. Feeling the spindle there doesn't seem to be any scratches that would hold it up.  The outer bearing similarity gets caught up but I can giggle it on.  Can you give me some ideas? I cant see sanding or polishing the spindle, but maybe that's what I need to do? 

Thanks, 

Steve

Sent from my iPad

If it's that close you might try some of that cooling spray that people use for other problems.  Or just  a bag of ice on the spindle.  I wouldn't go too crazy on using a temperature mismatch though because you don't want it stuck permanently.  Or you could use a heat gun on the bearing.  Don't get it too hot and the heat gun should let it come back off also.  Heat will expand a hole pretty dramatically, I'd bet it will slide on pretty easily with not much heat.

But if there's an auto parts store close by you could just go get another set.  The next set will be probably be on the big side of the manufacturing tolerance range.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it all back together, thanks for the help.  

A little sand I got with 600 grit wet dry paper with some wd40 in the areas the bearings were caching. and polished it with a grey scotch bride pad and I was able to get the bearings to slip on.

IMG_4277.JPG

• Like 1

Your biggest tech tip fan here, :), but I'm getting older and can't see as well as you young guys so could you use a larger font please. Thank you for any considerations for future tech tips and just THANK YOU in general for all the info/pictures you've provided for us.

Cliff

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sdyck said:

A little sand I got with 600 grit wet dry paper with some wd40 in the areas the bearings were caching. and polished it with a grey scotch bride pad and I was able to get the bearings to slip on.

Will the next guy's bearing be too loose?  Just a thought.  Still a fan of working within the tolerances.  The bearing is the replacement part.

Still, good to know if you're in a time-bind.

Zed Head, I understand your concerns. My thinking is that there must have been a minor scratch or build up on the spindle, it was a little discoloured at the outside edge where the inner bearing sits.  I was very gentle in my sanding, and would consider it more of a polish. Neither the old and new bearing wouldn't slip on until I did the polishing.  My approach was to give it a few rubs, clean with brake fluid, apply and then try to work the bearing on. The place I was polishing was right at the edgeof the big step, the inner bearing wouldn't even start to slip on. Where the bearing rides wasn't polished. I don't think I did too much damage, the bearing is still tight aginst the spindle.

Steve