IGNORED

Back up light switch

Blufc3s

Hi

I have a 76 280z with a 82 280zx turbo drive train, manual transmission.

My backup light switch is bad so I ordered one from rock auto. It didn't fit.

In the fsm it states the transmission is part FS5W71B. It turns out my transmission is FS5R90A. It appears that transmission was 1 of 2 types that came in the 83 280ZX Turbo.

My problem is I can't seem to find a listing for the FS5R90A back up switch.

Does anyone know where I can find this switch? TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

The only number I can find on the case is 13-52-065-901.
The part number on the switch is WC-010.
The 1983 280ZX FSM shows 2 manual transmissions. Mine is the FS5R90A which is a wide ratio. It's odd to me that the transmission came from an 82, but only shown in the 83 FSM. The back up switch is on the drivers side of the transmission and is bigger than the one for the other transmission, which has the switch on the passenger side.
Here are pics of my switch and the one from Rock auto.
IMG_3224.JPG
IMG_3225.JPG

Did a little on line digging for info. It appears that Mustangs and Jeeps at, one time, used the T-5. The jeep reverse switch for the NWC T5 trans, APPEARS to be very similar to the one on the left in your pic. Didn't research the Mustang trans switch yet. Perhaps a trip to the parts store with switch in hand will come up with a match. I hope the Jeep switch works for you. They're only $10.00 - $15.00.

I looked on eBay and amazon and you're right, the jeep and mustang switches look similar to mine. It is a T-5 so I will go to napa tomorrow with mine to see what I can find. The connector is different but that doesn't matter.
Mark, I really appreciate your help

Just curious, is your reverse switch on the left or right side of the transmission?

FYI. Looking through RockAuto, here are some of the part numbers I found: AIRTEX/WELLS 1S5283, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS LS230, MOTORCRAFT SW1694

Rockauto is a good place to look.  And the 1984 300ZX used the FS5R90A.  That car's switch should work.  

I looked in Electrical Switches and Relays for a 1984 300ZX.  It's there.  They call it the "back-up lamp switch".  Might explain the difficulty in finding.

But it looks like the one you show that is too short.  Who knows.  Are you sure that you pulled the correct switch?  There are several.  Maybe the one you have isn't for the back-up lamp.

I am sure it's the right switch. If I short the leads going to the switch the lights work fine. I also tested the switch out of the car, and it doesn't work.
When I look at the rockauto 84 switch the tip is different, similar to the one on the right which I originally got from rock auto. I looked at the tranny for the 84 in the FSM and it shows the switch on the passenger side, opposite to mine.
Anyway, I will visit a parts store today and see what I can find.

Just curious, is your reverse switch on the left or right side of the transmission?
FYI. Looking through RockAuto, here are some of the part numbers I found: AIRTEX/WELLS 1S5283, STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS LS230, MOTORCRAFT SW1694

It's on the left side. The switch looks very similar to the one for the T5 for the 84 mustang as Mark found, except for the leads, which isn't a problem.

Thanks to everyone who answered this post I now have backup lights. I bought a switch for a 84 mustang, assuming the studs were threaded, however they were "push on" studs. I ended up soldering some connectors on, heat shrinking them and tape, so it's fine. I should have used the GM switch as Stevej suggested.
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG

• Like 1