IGNORED

240 radio install tips, PLEASE!!!

siteunseen

I'm trying to get the original one back in and it's giving me a fit.  

I'm thinking unhook all the hvac cables and completely remove that face plate/cover?  Any tips would be great news for me. I'm stumped at getting it in with all the wiring behind it. Can't line up the back bolts to the chassis. 

Thanks for ANY ideas.

On my 7/70 the way you are describing sounds basically like how I have done it in the past. When I unhooked the heater cables I only pulled the heater control panel out enough to allow installation of the radio so that the routing of the cables was not disturbed to much. Then I hooked up the wiring and installed the rear screws on the radio loosely into the chassis brackets.  After that I placed the metal backing plate onto the radio and repositioned the heater control panel over the front of the radio, then installed the radio plastic face plate, installed the four heater control panel screws and put the nuts and knobs onto the radio and tightened the back radio to chassis screws. Then finally re-hooked up the heater control cables.

It was many years ago so hopefully I didn't miss any thing.

• Like 1

Beautiful! Thank you.

After a cold beer or four I've decided to get the leds for those 3 gauges that are in my reach at the moment. 

Is this part of the original? I thought it was mounting spacer for the Clarion tape deck.

After paying attention it's gotta be. Same metal and the cutout for the antenna. 1494104152227.jpg

1494104053881.jpg

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Beautiful! Thank you.

After a cold beer or four I've decided to get the leds for those 3 gauges that are in my reach at the moment. 

Is this part of the original? I thought it was mounting spacer for the Clarion tape deck.

After paying attention it's gotta be. Same metal and the cutout for the antenna. 1494104152227.jpg

I have never seen the metal plate for a '72, to be sure I would put your plastic radio face plate over it and check that the two lower heater control panel screws don't interfere with the corners. The '70 & '71 plates are flat.

Your welcome.  I didn't realize that the radio face plate for a '72 differed that much from the '70/'71.  Before seeing the pictures of your place plate I was expecting that the metal plate would go on with the flanges pointing inward like in the photo with the Jenson unit.

After reading that first link I feel even stupider.  I was trying to get the radio's holes to line up with the very back bolts, the one with the ground wire in Can Tec's picture.  It didn't want to go that far back, now I know why. :rolleyes:

I had know idea about that rear plate either.  Can't wait until I feel better, loosened up, so I can go back to contortionists practice.  The circus is in town, I'm trying out for the Biggest Clown.  Shouldn't be much of a contest.

20161112_112325.jpg

radio.png

Finally!  It's in and makes a little static noise when I push the power knob, green light and illumination lights work. That was tough for me, I'm the bull in a china shop so not breaking any plastic was a miracle. 

Thanks again to Dr Dave Morales for putting me on the right path.  Until his post I was going at it blind.

Here's a crappy picture from a crap phone.  Console will have to wait until tomorrow,  it's 3 hours past Miller Time.

20170508_150050.jpg

• Like 1