IGNORED

Does the MAF sensor need to be adjusted for EGR delete?

Senor Grizzly

Maybe he should install a fuel pressure gauge and observe it at full throttle. Just to rule out fuel flow.

I had thought lack of advance timing but now I'm not sure that it would give the symptoms Senor Grizzly describes. 

I think some history on this car would be nice also. Did he just buy it,

Has it sat for any length of time,

Is it all stock except for egr delete and why did he delete it.

Edited by rcb280z

Also not clear if it's an easy increase to 3000 or if it's wide open and hold on.  The ECU and TPS dump a lot of extra fuel if you put the pedal donw, but meter in slowly if you keep a light foot and wait.

Senor might be out there troubleshooting so hasn't come back yet.  I just worked my way through another Oregon emissions check myself.  Passed, on the third try, but my numbers were a lot better last year.  I was starting to get worried.

12 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Also not clear if it's an easy increase to 3000 or if it's wide open and hold on.  The ECU and TPS dump a lot of extra fuel if you put the pedal donw, but meter in slowly if you keep a light foot and wait.

Senor might be out there troubleshooting so hasn't come back yet.  I just worked my way through another Oregon emissions check myself.  Passed, on the third try, but my numbers were a lot better last year.  I was starting to get worried.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Ive been super busy with work and haven't had time to do much trouble shooting. To answer your question the sputtering is more like a lack of air. l

the car loses power and the engine makes a deep sound and it smells like gas. it happens both at light and heavy throttle quick or slow

I'll bet there are some good? stories about passing emission tests. We had a real challenge with an 81 RX7. Not known to be a clean burning engine even when new. It took eleven tries (thanks to some creativity and the smog pump) but we finally got it thru. The crew at the DEQ Station were all rooting for the car to pass as the emissions dropped with each test. There were high fives by everyone when it passed.

15 hours ago, Senor Grizzly said:

the sputtering is more like a lack of air. l

the car loses power and the engine makes a deep sound and it smells like gas. it happens both at light and heavy throttle quick or slow

On the EFI system the fuel comes from counting sparks, and from the AFM vane position.  It might be that somebody has adjusted your AFM, loosening the spring.  That would cause the vane to open farther than it should, flooding the engine.  Just a guess.  The gas smell is a clue. The AFM calibration has worked for people, on the link siteunseen provided above.  Look for clues that somebody has messed with it, the black cover might have new silicone or the glue blobs on the wheel have been moved.

Another possibility is a bad ECU or bad ECU connections.  They tend to go rich or just die completely.  Tough to diagnose.

You have the PO problem.  Who knows what's been done.  Somewhere out there is a 77 with a low compression engine, that a PO got running using this site.  We told him, but he did it anyway.

Forgot to say, it would be worthwhile to go through the testing in the FSM or the EFI book, in the Downloads section of the site.  At the ECU connector.  This one covers all years up to 1980 - 

Edited by Zed Head