IGNORED

New 77 280z owner in Florida

10 hours ago, gwri8 said:

Look's like you're got a great base to start off from.

Agreed! I think it looks great and I wish mine was that original. My PO applied paint is just one of a multitude of things that have been messed with on mine!

If I were closer, I'd be happy to come over and swap interiors with you. I've got the black and have been digging the white for quite some time.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, FlyingScot said:

Its kinda like my dad (74). Love him but over the years I've picked up some work or a project he has done and scratched my head - if it worked was good enough.

Flash back for me.  I spent my life with my dad doing this!  He was a mechanical Engineer and always thought he could make things better.  Sometimes yes sometimes no.

I think I was 14 or so and my dad decided to re-work my RC car transmission.  A main, final race in third and only a few corners to catch the leader and my car just stopped.  I was not happy.  That race cost me the State Championship in 84!   

My Dad (78) still does this and I have to figure out what he did and try and make it right without spending a dime, not working he says there's no money to pay out. That's a crock of sh*t.

Thank goodness for the internet, now I'm a lawnmower mechanic, an electrician and a plumber to him. LOL 

Edited by siteunseen

I'll be clear - my dad has taught me so much and has helped me the most when I need it. I learned to MacGyver from him. He comes from an era of Model T tubs hot rodded out - what we would call rat rods. They would figure stuff out before the internet and don't care about pretty.

But that also means doing things like taking bags of dry chlorine (Shock treatment for pool) and cramming into a bucket he then puts next to my S2000. He put them in the bucket because one was leaking granules. Rusted my chrome (shocks, exhaust tip, emblems) within a week before I caught. He's stubborn too - nothing can't be fixed without a bigger hammer. Lots of broken bolts to prove this - I've gotten good with a drill and tap....

Still and always great fun to work with him and I'm sure my son will bitch about me one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

My Dad (78) still does this and I have to figure out what he did and try and make it right without spending a dime, not working he says there's no money to pay out. That's a crock of sh*t.

Thank goodness for the internet, now I'm a lawnmower mechanic, an electrician and a plumber to him. LOL 

Totally understand.  My dad passed 3 years ago at 72 and Miss him dearly.  Be sure to ask him any questions now before you forget.  You never know when we'll be called home.

• Like 4

Be great to have help this weekend - I'm grinding the concrete floor in the garage and putting down the RockSolid Copper Metallic flooring :). Very excited - haven't seen the car in a few years and now it is mine! The ZX wheels will be coming off in next month, along with all the other projects. Curious how quickly I'll pick up working on this - the first time you work on a new car or do something it takes 4x as long as the second time. That rule seems to hold on every vehicle and boat I've worked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

they are stupid easy to work on as long as the bolts don't break. So far the hardest job for me was removing the heat shield. I hear that working on the rear suspension (control arm bushings and wheel bearings) can be a pain. all comes down to if things are seriously stuck.

1st things I did was fluids (use yellow metal safe oil in the trans), belts and hoses,T stat, water pump (well after it leaked),alt (after it shorted out), FI rubber hoses with correct clamps.

the list goes on but you get the picture, mainly simple stuff that was done wrong (like wrong hoses and clamps on FI) normal maint, and electrical connections including new rubber boots to keep out moisture.

Sensors on the T stat housing are often bad. Hopefully no one has monkeyed around with the AFM, it seems to be the go to thing anytime the FI is not working right.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1