IGNORED

Remove 1977 280z intake

Jaymanbikes

Why not just leave the AC connected and move it out of the way? I am not sure that's possible but it is what I have done in the past on other vehicles. Then pull the engine if needed...

I have some rust, surface primarily that is below where one of the copper lines transitions into the flex line. It is from an old brake fluid leak. My thinking was that if I yank the motor I would like to take care of that properly.

I have decided against yanking the motor not enough time to take it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yeah that would be best done next winter, enjoy it this summer.  You may blow her up hearing that header screaming. LOL

Cheap walmart spray foam oven cleaner works good as does lacquer thinner cleaning the motor up in car. Simple Green with Scotch-Brite pads too.  I bought a gallon of commercial de-greaser from a local chemical supply that worked great undiluted, make sure and wear some kind of rubber gloves though, if that stuff gets under your cuticles and finger nails it's like what I imagine bamboo felt like in the Vietnam warm.

Yeah that would be best done next winter, enjoy it this summer.  You may blow her up hearing that header screaming. default_laugh.png
Cheap walmart spray foam oven cleaner works good as does lacquer thinner cleaning the motor up in car. Simple Green with Scotch-Brite pads too.  I bought a gallon of commercial de-greaser from a local chemical supply that worked great undiluted, make sure and wear some kind of rubber gloves though, if that stuff gets under your cuticles and finger nails it's like what I imagine bamboo felt like in the Vietnam warm.

Thanks for the tip. Here is a little mock up pic. Lots of work ahead.IMG_1491263168.335922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I have it mostly put back together.  I had all the metal parts Zinc plated which was a lot of work, fortunately I had two of everything so I was able to disassemble the car after I got the parts back.  I didn't have to trim any of the heat shield with my header installed which was great.   

A few details and then the hood can go back on and off to the muffler shop.  I purchased a 2.5" exhaust system from MSA awhile back and it hangs way low back near the diff.  I suspect I will just have to have a custom piece welded up to get it right.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Great looking engine bay! You did a fine job with that.

Those 2.5 exhaust can be a pain, taking it to a shop isn't too expensive.  I paid $50 to have mine tucked up better. There's that cut out on the driver's side of the differential that it fits in but that wasn't made for such a larger pipe.  I fought with mine then threw in the towel and the $50. Good investment for me. Good way to spend $50, I mean. That's just a couple of days of beer. LOL

Edited by siteunseen